The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ivy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: ivy| Next thread: Ivy »
Back to Thread index
by Mrs.Bradley on June 07, 2006 04:43 AM
[Frown] Am I the only person on the planet who cannot grow ivy??????? [nutz]

I have a couple of starter ivy's in my northwest facing bathroom, one next to the window and one on the counter next to the sink and both are wilting. [Eek!] they are not wet,but moist and they dry a little between waterings,and the sun is NEVER too bright in there cause they get sun at the end of the day. what am I doing wrong??? [dunno]

-
 -
by chenno on June 07, 2006 05:22 AM
Hi Mrs Bradley

That is about the best thing I can grow?
I am not sure? someone here will probably know.

Did you use a rooting powder?

Good luck
Angie

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by joclyn on June 07, 2006 08:14 AM
there are lots of varieties of ivy.

which one do you have? how big are the plants? what type of pot do you have them in (glazed or unglazed ceramic or plastic)?
by gardeningmomma on June 07, 2006 03:38 PM
It depends on the variety. I have had success with the varigated ivies and the green ivies. I can't grow German ivy to save my life!
by Mrs.Bradley on June 08, 2006 07:32 AM
okay, I'm gonna get everyone at once.

1)I didn't use rooting powder.should I use that if I am just transplanting from a 2 inch pot at the store??

2&3) 2 inch varigated planted in unglazed ceramic/terra cotta 1 in each

they have pretty good trails on them(at least til I got ahold of them) I think I could kill off a silk plant.he he he how sad,huh?!

-
 -
by joclyn on June 09, 2006 05:08 AM
the terra cotta allows the soil to dry out pretty quickly. that might be the issue - especially with some of the variegated types. they're a bit more needy when it comes to soil moisture.

what i've started to do with all my plants is put them in plastic pots that have drain holes in them and then i put that pot in a nice glazed ceramic pot so that it looks nice.

drainage is pretty important for most plants. if i do put something straight into a ceramic planter i make sure to put something in the bottom of it for drainage - broken pieces of pots, stones, even those plastic packing peanuts.

when i buy a new plant, i usually transplant it right away into something bigger. i try not to disturb the roots too much and i feed it with a half-strength dose of food (i use peter's brand) every other watering for the first couple of months...that's always worked well for me [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: ivy| Next thread: Ivy »
Back to Thread index