The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

ivy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Ivy| Next thread: Ivy »
Back to Thread index
by hinda on July 13, 2005 01:03 AM
about a montha ago i go t soem ivy leaves. i decided to experiment with em . i potted on elaf and put it ouside on a windowsil - suffice it to say that i fried it in the sun! then i potted another one and put in indoors away from the sun. it looked ok for a while but has recently started to shrivel . i am trying to water it more. and ther erest i left in water, these ones all look fine but have not grown any roots. i heard that you can grow ivy in water but i wanted to have potted ivy or even ivy outside the house eventually. how do i get the oens in the water to root and to survive being transferred to earth. and is it worth trying to keep the potted one that i have indoors??
sorry this is so long!!
by hisgal2 on July 14, 2005 04:01 AM
usually if something is put in water and it grows roots, you can transfer it into a good soil and it will live. What kind of ivy do you have? I have English ivy and that stuff is tough! It doesn't die with bleach...or fire...or drought...or snow....ugh. If you would like some of that, I can send you some. I don't know how long it takes to get mail from here to there, but we can try if you'd like.

-
 -

-
by rozy221 on July 17, 2005 06:37 AM
Hi Hinda! Although I've never heard of it being done with just leaves (I've always used a cut branch), I always put them in water and eventually they grow roots. Some types take longer to root than others. I think that the outdoor ivy that I did took about a month before it started to root, while an indoor one i did took about 2 weeks to start.
As long as it's green and looking OK, you're fine. The shriveled one I wouldn't bother fussing with-it probably shriveled because it had no roots-you could try sticking it in water to see what happens.
As far as I know (which isn't a whole lot), ivy should not be kept in water any longer than necessary. After a while the roots get kinda yucky. I've potted up several cuttings and they all did fine-they may go into "shock" and stop growing for a bit. And sometimes, if the roots didn't develop well, it may last for a little while and then shrivel, but overall, it's pretty easy. Good luck and keep us posted!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ivy| Next thread: Ivy »
Back to Thread index