The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ivy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Ivy| Next thread: ivy »
Back to Thread index
by Tammy M on November 16, 2004 07:51 PM
I have an ivy plant that was so pretty when I bought it and now it barely has any foilage and I think it might die if I dont do something about it I have never changed the soil,replanted or given it food What do I need to do?
by noneofyourbusiness on November 16, 2004 08:34 PM
I would start by doing everything you just mentioned, and buy a small "grow light" from your local hardware store. Sounds like it needs all of that!!
by Shani on November 17, 2004 09:50 PM
I have a similar problem with my ivy, its just started losing all its leaves, it get watered the same as the rest of my plants and hangs in a south facing window. I don't know whats wrong with it

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by Will Creed on November 18, 2004 04:14 AM
Hedera ivies (English ivy) are not very forgiving. If they are not watered properly, even for a relatively brief period, they deteriorate quite rapidly and they are hard to resurrect. Inadequate light and spider mites can also do them in.

Ivies need small pots filled with soil that dries out frequently. They also need very bright indirect light. Finally they need stability - same location, no repotting, and very consistent watering. Fertilizer rarely solves any problems.

Look for tiny dust-like particles and/or tiny webs on the leaves. Those are spider mites.

Don't let the strands get too long. Regular pruning is important.
by Shani on November 18, 2004 10:45 PM
would turning the ivy make a difference then?

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by Will Creed on November 20, 2004 05:24 PM
Shani,

Rotating a plant will help keep it symmetrical, but it will not make much difference to a plant's overall health.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ivy| Next thread: ivy »
Back to Thread index