The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Licorice Plant?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: liatris| Next thread: Lifted the Canna »
Back to Thread index
by beginner_gardner_jmh2911 on May 01, 2006 07:06 AM
The mildy nutty lady who I buy all of my house plants from down the road sold me what she called a "Licorice Plant". I can't take a picture right now, but it has small green, furry leaves with white stems. It grows very rapidly and likes to be watered almost daily or it begins to shrivel. Does anyone know what this could be? I have tried researching licorice plant, but the pictures I find do not resemble my plant. Also, I want to know if this truly is a house plant. Someone looked at it and told me it was an annual??? [nutz]

Jeremiah 29:11
by angelblossom on May 01, 2006 03:58 PM
A friend of Mine in KS has a Large plant out side her door she called it the Licorice plant and it seeds it self so it comes back every year It smells like black licorice. I haven't seen one before that and I haven't since so I no help to you at all Sorry! I'm going to look it up tho.. and try to get back to ya K?

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by angelblossom on May 01, 2006 04:28 PM
Okay I did talk with my frien and she said hers grow in a bushey form outside with dark purple to almost black leaves and has a woody stock to it and diffenatly reseeds itself but she also said their are a varieties that some of the licorice plants don't have an odor/scent here is a site it most discribes what you have I think I hope it helps this one is for containers as it trails and may bloom
www.witsendgrowers.net/varieties/helichrysummoe.html

-
 -
by beginner_gardner_jmh2911 on May 02, 2006 01:57 PM
That is exactly what I have! I just wonder if I can keep it growing inside during the winter?

Jeremiah 29:11
by angelblossom on May 03, 2006 01:16 PM
Go back to the site I posted and roam around in it may have requirements for your> if not just to a search for the name of it and add house plant [dunno] maybe there is something that could guide you along,, I'm glad that at least It IS a licorice plant Or maybe if you go back to the mildly nutty lady you bought it from she could advice you ?? [lala] [Wink] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by netty on May 03, 2006 01:43 PM
Helichrysum is grown here as an annual. It's great in planters and hanging pots. I've tried several times to over winter them inside but have had no luck.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: liatris| Next thread: Lifted the Canna »
Back to Thread index