The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lipstick plant?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: lipstick plant| Next thread: Lipstick Plant Has Pimples! Help! »
Back to Thread index
by Rosepetal on March 05, 2005 12:59 AM
Hi Everyone
I have a lipstick plant. It is about 3 or 4 years old and has not had one bloom yet. Others tell me their plants bloom constantly. What am I doing wrong? My plant looks very healthy and is growing well. Can anyone help me!!!???? [flower]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Sheri&Kiki on March 05, 2005 02:10 AM
Hmmm...don't know much about lipstick plants, but if it's growing well and appears healthy, it's possible it just needs a feeding. Or perhaps a tad more light to push it to bloom. Just a thought! [wayey]

-
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
by Bestofour on March 05, 2005 02:50 AM
That's been my experience too. If plants are growing well but not blooming they usually need for sunlight.

Sheri

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Will Creed on March 05, 2005 03:48 AM
Hi Rosepetal,

To get a lipstick plant (Aeschynanthus lobbianus or Aeschynanthus radicans) to bloom, first, they need lots of bright light all year round, although they also need protection from direct sun in the midday hours.

Second, they should be kept in small pots. Repotting inhibits flower formation.

Third they require warm temps, never below the mid 60's, even in winter.

Fourth, keep the soil evenly moist - too much or too little water will discourage blooms. Allow the top inch or two to dry before watering thoroughly in winter.

Finally, younger plants are better bloomers than older plants. Regular pruning will help keep them young. It will get leggy if it is not pruned regularly. The best time to prune is when there are no buds in formation. Prune the longest stems back to several inches above the soil. Remember, the new growth will start at the point that you cut back to, so you should cut back pretty far to produce fullness in the center of the plant.
by Rosepetal on March 06, 2005 01:08 AM
It's me again.... [Smile]
Thanks for all the info'. My plant was one my son started for a school project, so it is a young one. I am giving it very good light, and I'm guessing that's why it's doing so well. The only thing I can still do is trim it back maybe this will give it the boost it needs to flower. [flower]
Sure is a puzzle! [thinker]
Thanks again for your help.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: lipstick plant| Next thread: Lipstick Plant Has Pimples! Help! »
Back to Thread index