The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lifted the Canna

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Licorice Plant?| Next thread: Lifting Canna »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on November 20, 2005 10:11 PM
I had no idea there would be so many. I haven't counted yet but I only planted 6 this spring and there is an entire shopping bag full of tubers. Now I just need to cut the stock down where it starts to turn white and I'm good to go right? Keep them at 55 degrees in a paper bag and they are happy until spring?

-
 -
by mike57 on November 21, 2005 03:14 AM
[wavey] HI TK sounds like you got the right idea.make sure you wash off all the soil then let them dry out for a few days or about week on some news paper before you bag them up.there are other ways to store them i am sure you will get more feed back on storing them.i store mine in onion bags in my basement in a dark place it stays 50 to 55 DEG there i hang them up so the air can circulate around and through them it keeps them from rotting.some store theres in peat moist moss.good luck with storeing your cannas. your friend in gardening.mike57 [wavey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by obywan59 on November 29, 2005 01:32 PM
Tammy, my mom gave me a start of her canna about4-5 years ago. The first couple of years, I dug it up too. Then one year I forgot. I guess it didn't know it wasn't supposed to survive our winters. It just keeps coming back bigger and better than ever. You would probably have even better luck as you're a zone warmer than me.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by comfrey on November 30, 2005 12:12 PM
My mom once gave me a big box full of canna's and I planted them, and I didn't know they should be dug up...This was in Missouri, and 99% of them survived winter. So they may be more hardy then we realize.

-
 -
by tkhooper on December 01, 2005 12:01 AM
If they were in the ground I wouldn't have any problem leaving them there. Mine were in a concrete container that does freeze solid during the winter so that is why I dug them up. Plus they had multiplied from 6 to 42. That 3 foot container wasn't going to be able to handle a second year even if by some miracle the canna survived lol. But you all are right the onces I transplanted out back I am definitely leaving in the ground.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Licorice Plant?| Next thread: Lifting Canna »
Back to Thread index