The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help! need plant for basement (very new to gardening etc)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by genic on March 12, 2006 06:40 PM
hey all, my name is james, and i have been toying with the fact of growing some houseplants. Heres my dilemna...My room is in a dark basement, and by dark, i mean the plans prolly wouldnt get ANY light in my room, other than the light from my room light (60 watt bulb i believe). It does get occasionally stuffy in my room, and thought a plant would help freshen it up a bit. I looked all over the internet, and can't seem to find a plant that thrives on little to no light. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thrives in Darkness
James
by Jiffymouse on March 12, 2006 11:57 PM
james, i have 2 words of advice. first, get a compact flourescent that gives the equivilant of 75 watts. they are under $5 for a single bulb, safer for the heat aspect, AND will give enough light for a plant.

now for the plant, you can get a small peace lily, pothos, philodendron, or something like that, but remember you will have to leave the light on at least 12 hours per day. that is another reason for the flourescent bulb. they only use about 13 watts of power to give that much light.
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 13, 2006 07:12 AM
A good plant for MODERATLY low light is the cast-iron plant but i agree with Jiffymouse it would do you very well to invest in a simple flouresent lamp!

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by tkhooper on March 13, 2006 07:30 AM
I agree too. The florescent light is well worth the investment. And the compact one's will fit in any standard lamp. Just remember that the plant has to stay very close to the light so you can't use it as your overhead light. Otherwise I'm not sure that anything other than the cast iron plant is going to do you any good.

-
 -
by cinta on March 13, 2006 02:05 PM
Everyone has given you some good suggestions of getting more light to be able to grow other things. I would like to add you are wise to want to add some plants to your room. There is a study to the health benefit of plants in the house. You will sleep better and they will clean the air you breath.

You can try....

Sansevieria what we call Mother in laws would survive by just a regular light. These plants were said to live in cold dark castle

These are clickable. Double click to enlarge..
 -

-

I have a green spider plant in the basement laundry room that is growing like crazy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by genic on March 13, 2006 05:11 PM
all great suggestions thank you! ill definetely pick up a light, and if anyone else has any suggestions let me know! :-P
by Cricket on March 13, 2006 05:59 PM
Don't forget that regular incandescent light don't emit the entire spectrum of light plants need to grow so as others have suggested get florescent or a grow light (more costly).

Remember too, that even plants designated as low light plants need at minimum enough natural or florescent light by which to comfortabley read newsprint. Some plants that can live for a long time in low light are ZZ plant, chinese evergreens, Janet Craig dracaena, Dracaena Mass (corn plant), Kentia, Rhapis, Parlor and Lady Palms, Heart Leaf Philodendron, Pothos, Peace lily, and Snake plant but many of the above mentioned plants thrive in medium to bright indirect light. Plants that receive low light grow much slower than their brighter light counterparts, usually need less water and fertilizer, and don't flower as readily in low light.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: