The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Amaryllis

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: amaryllis| Next thread: Amaryllis »
Back to Thread index
by Sami on October 09, 2004 02:56 AM
Ok, so, I still haven't done anything good with my amaryllis bulbs.

I have 4. I took 2 out of the pots because there were no leaves left and figured I should pull them out for the season. I still have 2 in pots. One is still green & pretty, the other isn't. I figure I need to pull them up, too. Do I need to do anything special with this one that has leaves? And, I'm putting up some pics of my 2 bulbs that I have pulled up. They still have roots on them. Do I do anything special to these? Let them dry & sit up for at least 6 weeks, right? Then replant them & they will possibly bloom?

-

-

-

-

-
Talentless but connected.
by Bill on October 09, 2004 03:20 AM
You've got to keep the bulbs in the dark for the 6-8 weeks or you will get some great foliage but no flower when you re-start it into growth.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/amaryllis.html

-
by TomR on October 09, 2004 05:36 AM
You have to keep them in a cool,dark place. Check them every couple of weeks. When you see WHITE new leave tips starting to come up re-plant and water with warm water and put in a bright west,south or east window.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by weezie13 on October 09, 2004 06:21 AM
[wayey] [wayey] [wayey] Hi Sami,
Whatchya been up too??????????
How's work???
Go to the returning member's and say HI [wayey] [wayey] [wayey]

It's awefully quiet without you around!!! [gabby] [gabby]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Carly on October 09, 2004 07:08 AM
Sami, have you got any pictures of other roots?

I had a really great idea for a series with pictures of roots and wouldn't mind using your pictures. Giving you the photo credits, of course.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Sami on October 09, 2004 09:59 AM
I don't think I have any other root pics right now, Carly, but I am always taking pics of stuff around my yard, so I may before long.

Hey, Weezie. Works going good but it's been such a career change (going from a telecommunications atmosphere to a medical atmosphere) and getting back into the swing of things has kept me off the net a lot more. I've learned so much here & I'm it's time (fall) to put some of that knowledge to work so I've been spending most of my "free" time trying to do my fall planting.

Thanks for the info Bill & Tom R...what do I do about the one that's still green? Do I let it "die" off or do I dig it up & cut the leaves off (I think I read not to do that).

-
by gardenmom32210 on October 09, 2004 04:04 PM
I've got tons of amaryllis. They are planted in the ground in a spot that is shady in the winter and sunny in the summer. I never dig them up and I get blooms twice a year from them. I don't cut the leaves off until they are brown and on the ground.

Hope this helps!

Karen [grin]
by Sami on October 09, 2004 08:48 PM
That helps a ton, Karen! So, I'll replant them in the ground this spring & leave them there.

-
by Triss on October 09, 2004 09:29 PM
Karen or anyone else who can help,

Can I force a second bloom indoors? Mine bloomed a couple or three months back and is in the ground right now and went through one freeze night where it got down to 30ish. It has been since then and I would love to force it indoors since I want to move it anyhow. If I force it now, will it bloom again next summer and will it even bloom now since it already has this year?

TIA

Triss

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: amaryllis| Next thread: Amaryllis »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: