The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

moving and storing iris

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Moving a Hosta??...| Next thread: Moving apple trees »
Back to Thread index
by sg on October 02, 2004 05:06 AM
Can anyone tell me the proper way to store iris rhizomes to survive a move from Illinois to AZ? Thanks for any ideas.
by Triss on October 02, 2004 05:54 AM
If they still have greens, clip those back. Dig up the rhizomes and shake off the excess dirt and pack them in a box with some kind of dry material, sawdust and newspaper shreds work well. Store in AZ in a cool dry place until ready to plant.

Triss

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by morningstar on October 03, 2004 02:59 AM
Would this method work if I dug up my irises this fall and didn't/couldn't plant them until next fall? I have bunches of flags and they need transplanted, but I don't have anywhere to put them back into the ground yet.

Dawn
by Triss on October 04, 2004 06:50 AM
I have no idea if they would last that long... sorry...

Triss

-
 -
by AllGreenThumbs on October 04, 2004 04:17 PM
SG, The advice given was good but not necessary. You CAN pack them in a dry material such as sawdust, but as long as they are kept dry, they will be fine. If you have ever purchased Iris by rhizomes, they look completely dry and dead. The key is getting all the soil off the rhizome and dusting them with a fungicide to keep them from rotting in storage. I suggest digging them up, washing them off with plain water to remove ALL soil and letting them air dry. I would divide them into one , two or three rhizomes and then dust them with a dry fungicide (you can get this at some nurseries or ask them what they would recommend for your climate). Throw them in a brown paper bag and keep them someplace cold (simulating winter)and replant them in the spring. Yeah, you may lose a few but so do commercial growers. Hope this helps. Becki

Ohio Zone 5
by Triss on October 04, 2004 05:02 PM
Becki,

I have never used a fungicide on any of my bulbs when storing them. And I don't lose too many but have always done that living in CA, Is that more necessary where the winters are colder like here in NE?

Triss

-
 -
by AllGreenThumbs on October 04, 2004 05:12 PM
Triss, Sorry, but I have no idea as I've never lived anywhere but here in Ohio:). As a landscaper, I have always thought it better to be safe than sorry when it comes to my little flower babies..lol. I don't know if the fungicide is necessary or not, I just know that if any bit of soil or disease that one can't see with the eye is left, it will cause rot to set in, so I've just always done it to be safe. Maybe someone living in your new location could better advise you. Good luck! Becki

Ohio Zone 5
by sg on October 05, 2004 07:58 AM
Thanks to those that gave the suggestions.
by morningstar on October 05, 2004 12:57 PM
So, I could do that too? Is it safe to have them all together in the paper bag, or should they be separated into layers? Also, how exactly to you divide them? To simulate winter, I have a barn and a garden shed, also a basement. Which one of these would you recommmend.

What part of Ohio? I'm in Enon/Springfield area.

Dawn

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Moving a Hosta??...| Next thread: Moving apple trees »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: