The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Moving a Hosta??...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: moving a gardenia bush...| Next thread: moving and storing iris »
Back to Thread index
by Mandy N. on May 18, 2006 04:03 AM
Hello. I was wondering if anyone thought it is a good/bad idea to move a hosta this time of year. I have done some re-arranging of my shade garden, and I would like to move this plant about a foot. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks for the help! I'll have to post pictures, I think it turned out great!
by slredmond on May 18, 2006 05:12 AM
Dig it up - move it! Very hardy, and it's not too hot yet. Dig a good-sized hole, mix in some organic matter, and plop it in with a good drink. If it's an older plant, is it large enough to divide?

Sandy R.
by Mandy N. on May 18, 2006 05:27 AM
It is only a few years old, but it does have several stems coming out. I could probably divide it without any problem. Thanks for the advice!
by Mandy N. on May 18, 2006 05:28 AM
Thanks again!
by slredmond on May 18, 2006 05:31 AM
No problem! I am a hosta addict, and I don't want to be cured! Last year I bought about eight miniatures - talk about cute. They are going in the kids' fairy garden. If your hosta is sending up a half dozen shoots or so you could divide and still have a nice-sized plant. What kind is it?

Sandy R.
by Mandy N. on May 18, 2006 05:34 AM
I am not sure of the variety, it has solid green leaves that have ridges. It does send up white blossoms in a few more months. It definatly has at least six shoots on it. So, that should be easy enough to divide. I bought a cute miniature gold rimmed one that I want to put on either side of this other one. But it needs to be centered!!
by johnCT on May 18, 2006 07:19 AM
Hostas can handle just about any abuse you can give it and still come back. Last summer I dug up one of the many hostas I have of one variety and left the root ball behind the fence at the back of my property. It survived just fine and is still sending up shoots this spring.

John - Zone 6
by Mandy N. on May 18, 2006 07:50 AM
Great news! I didn't know that they were that hardy. I know all about my iris, those things are HARDY!!
by slredmond on May 19, 2006 12:47 AM
Can you post a picture? We'd like to see it!

Sandy R.
by Mandy N. on May 19, 2006 02:52 AM
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=axeyuoo1.ce3pju4x&Uy=-ooqsbx&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Copy and paste this website to see a slide show. The actual hosta in question is inside the courtyard, but not in the show. I don't know why I forgot to add that, but I am at work right now. I will post the pic when I get home later tonight. Thanks!

I have a new question...... Can a Lupine survive the shade? I know a lot of sun loving plants will do well, but I was wondering about this one. Thanks again..
by slredmond on May 19, 2006 05:18 AM
REALLY pretty! Great job. Maybe Sum & Substance or Elegans? Both are BIG and rippled. But - S&S is more gold. Elegans has the white flower. http://www.hostalibrary.org/e/e.html

I'd "google" the lupine and see what you find about shade.

Sandy R.
by patches1414 on May 19, 2006 05:34 AM
quote:
I am a hosta addict, and I don't want to be cured! Last year I bought about eight miniatures - talk about cute.
Sandy, I can really relate to this and I'd have to say I'm a Hosta addict too! [Wink] I can still remember when I thought Hostas were boring, but then I discovered all the different varieties. [thumb] Two years ago I bought several of the miniature Hostas and I love them. [Love]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Mandy N. on May 19, 2006 07:50 AM
Yes, I do think it is the Elgans. I had no idea that there were so many to chose from!! My local Lowes doesn't carry all of those. I'm sure I could find them around somewhere. Thanks for the reference!
by johnCT on May 19, 2006 08:31 AM
Yeah, looks like Elegans to me. Too green to be S&S and not blue enough to be Halcyon.

John - Zone 6
by patches1414 on May 19, 2006 09:15 AM
I believe Lupine usually need full sun, so I doubt they will flourish in the shade. [Frown] I know they like a sandy, well-drained soil, and I've found they will not do very well in the heavy, clay soil we have around here [Frown] unless the soil is amended.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by slredmond on May 19, 2006 11:38 PM
Patti- Glad I'm in good company!

Sandy R.
by patches1414 on May 20, 2006 05:57 AM
Sandy, are you talking about the clay soil? [dunno]

-
 -
by slredmond on May 20, 2006 12:01 PM
Patti - Well that (nasty clay), but the hosta addiction!!

Sandy R.
by patches1414 on May 20, 2006 05:34 PM
Well Sandy, you're in real good company. [Wink] The clay is certainly the pits, [Eek!] but I have all of my garden beds amended. So the only place I have a problem is with my lawn. [Frown] Hostas certainly can be addicting, but it's such a nice addiction! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Mandy N. on May 22, 2006 06:37 PM
thanks everyone for all of the helpful information.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: moving a gardenia bush...| Next thread: moving and storing iris »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: