The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Moving apple trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: moving and storing iris| Next thread: MOVING DASIES »
Back to Thread index
by gasdoctor on November 06, 2004 07:40 PM
I have two trees (a james grieve and a granny smith) which were ~2 years old when i bought them(in pots) I planted them in March (04).

Now Im moving house (not far) and want to grow apple trees.

Is it worth digging up the trees and transplanting them, or just buying two new trees?

Cheers
by Jiffymouse on November 07, 2004 01:03 AM
well, i don't know about apple trees in particular, but i had a tree that grew in my front yard for about 4 years and i dug it up and brought it to georgia with me. now it is still in the oversized pot i put it in 'cause now i can't decide where to put it! (oh, and we have been in georgia for 10 years now!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] )
by gasdoctor on November 07, 2004 05:41 PM
Cheers,

How did you move it etc, these trees are only about 7 foot tall.

I guess youve already ansewered how long it can stay in a pot.

Should I prune them first?
by papito on November 08, 2004 01:18 AM
I will send you a pm on this subject.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Jiffymouse on November 08, 2004 01:48 AM
i didn't, but papito will have better info than i, as he grows lots of fruit in containers!
by gasdoctor on November 08, 2004 05:00 PM
Thanks thats really good.

Just a quick question on "dormancy". It may be a bit stupid but when is a tree dormant. ie as soon as the last leaf falls or a month after etc?

Cheers
by papito on November 08, 2004 11:44 PM
Hello gasdoctor,

Dormancy is the annual period when a plant's growth processes greatly slow down, dormancy occurs in many plants with the coming of winter, as days grow shorter and temperatures, colder.

You're right, plants that drop their leaves in the winter, such as fruit trees and roses are completely dormant when out of leaf and can be dug up and transported.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: moving and storing iris| Next thread: MOVING DASIES »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: