The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Greenhouse

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: greenhouse| Next thread: greenhouse aquariums »
Back to Thread index
by MJM-Chicago on September 13, 2004 01:52 AM
I live in the city of Chicago on a 25’ X 125’ lot. My back yard is 25’ X 40’ with a 10’ X 12’ outdoor garden plot. I am considering a greenhouse. My question is will I be able to have a vegetable garden in the greenhouse during the summer months?
by weezie13 on September 13, 2004 06:36 AM
Hello MJM in Chicago!!!
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us!!

First off, I'm going to answer some of your question for you, of some things or places of greenhouse's that I know of, but then I'm going to move your post into Plants and Flower Section,
You should get some more responses there, if anyone can help you there.

Okay, I just got a little one last year for Mother's Day (/Christmas/Birthday) Present....
My husband found it at:
Harbor Freight Tools/8 FT. x 6 FT. GREENHOUSE
I [Cool] LOVE IT [Love] [kissies] It's not too big, just the right size for someone starting out!
*although, I'd already love a bigger one [Roll Eyes] *
It's light weight, I believe if I remember correctly it's only 70 something pounds....
He made a very nice wooden floor for it and designed it so he and 3 other guys can move it)

But you asked if you could grow a garden in it???
I am not toooo sure about it....
But here are my thoughts on it...
You could garden inside it??? You'd have to really plan out each size of things you want to grow and how big they get...
And you absolutely have to have thermometers for temps, so you know how hot or not it is???
(Mine top out at 100*'s, if I forget to open the one and only door and roof window...)
And in the spring it's great!!! And now it's doing okay for a way to extend my season~ greenhouse, once it starts getting colder, I'm planning on moving vegetable garden plants back into the GH that I planted in pots, to see how much extra time I can get???? [dunno]
But, during the summer when it's unbelievabley HOT [Mad] [devil] Up past 100*'s...I'm not too sure of how much heat they can stand and the sun is magnified so much during the "Dog Days of Summer"! Maybe a shade clothe over the top, at the peak of time in the summer, but then again, not sure how much sun certain plants may need????

Anyhow, the Harbor Frieghts were great, no problems delivering and FREE SHIPPING AND HANDLING! Cant' beat that!

Here's another catalog I get in the mail!!
I drool over this catalog, but you never know,
you might find something you like...
FarmTek
(**Get the catalog and look it over at your house, looking at the site doesn't do the cat. justice....**)
Never ordered from there but looks nice????

Here's another one I've gotten the catalog for some years, but again, never ordered from there.
Charley's Greenhouse

And finally another one that fellow gardener Obywan59 told me about, but it's a HOOP HOUSE® Greenhouse Kit
(***that's twice the size of the greehouse I got for the same price***)
THAT'S THE NEXT THING ON MY WISH LIST!

And also, another idea I found, that may be something for you, would seem to be versatile, if you could put the plastic on and off again!!!
cattle panels to construct 'hoop houses'
You could do the cattle panels and figure out a way to put the plastic up over it during winter, and keep it up thru spring to start your seeds or plants in, then pull it off during the hot days, and put it back on come fall time.

Hope some of this helps you and or gives you some idea's!!!
Weezie

P/S I have many relatives in Chicago!
Calumet City and some in Gary, Indiana!!!
Are you close or no cigar???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Carly on September 13, 2004 07:02 AM
Hi MJM - welcome to the gardening forums. I just joined a couple of months ago myself. I find these forums very helpful especially for identification.

Good luck with building that greenhouse - I have no advice on that - never done it.

That greenhouse looks great, Weezie - lucky you.

(Don't I look good in green?)

Carly :-0

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: greenhouse| Next thread: greenhouse aquariums »
Back to Thread index