The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

greenhouse aquariums

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Greenhouse| Next thread: Greenhouse Experts!!!! »
Back to Thread index
by Mocha260 on May 24, 2006 04:44 PM
Hello,

I would like to use an aquarium to start seeds. Does anyone have any information about how this should be done or know where I can find step-by-step instructions?
by JV on May 24, 2006 08:45 PM
Wish I did sounds intreresting. Someone should be along soon to help you. Welcome to the forum.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Wrennie on May 26, 2006 12:10 AM
I've never done it in an aquarium, BUT...
I would think youd fill the plastic 6 cells with seed starter, or use jiffy pellets, or jiffy pots full of seed starter soil. Put them in there, water but dont drown and put some sort of cover, a piece of glass, plexiglass, saran wrap, to keep in humidity. If it gets to hot open the top to vent. If all germinate & grow at the same rate remove the top when there are 2 true leaves. Or else take ot the pellets or pots that are ahead of the others and put them elsewhere to mature.
Maybe do a google search on terrarium/aquarium seed starter/greenhouse.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Longy on May 26, 2006 11:13 PM
I've never done it in an aquarium either Wrennie, but there was this swimming pool i remember one time.................... [lala]

I'd also put in some gravel in the base so the seed starters can drain if you overwater. If they're sitting in water, the seeds may rot. You may also need to put some vermiculite or sand on top of the seed raising mix once they germinate as the humidity may cause damping off.

-
The secret is the soil.
by weezie13 on May 27, 2006 04:26 AM
quote:
Put them in there, water but dont drown and put some sort of cover, a piece of glass, plexiglass, saran wrap, to keep in humidity.
I bet you that "PRESS 'N SEAL" stuff would work great.. it's like a saran wrap, only it's got
a sticky side and one not..
Stick the sticky side down and press along the edge and you'd get a real tight seal... [thumb] [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Mocha260 on June 02, 2006 01:57 AM
Excellent ideas!!!! Thanks! What is meant by "2 true leaves"?
by weezie13 on June 02, 2006 02:30 AM
quote:
If all germinate & grow at the same rate remove the top when there are 2 true leaves.
When a seedling sends up the first leaves, they are not the "TRUE LEAVES", they are almost a universal looking leaf, usually flat, round or oval shaped..
*so it can get the most amount of
sun possible* and then once those leaves are up and running and doing it's job, the plant then sends out it's "FIRST TRUE LEAVES" and they can be totallyyyyyyyyyyy different looking than the first one's...

After that, Wrennie says to pull off the top covering...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Greenhouse| Next thread: Greenhouse Experts!!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: