The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Experience with boxwoods?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by jmacd on May 04, 2006 10:27 AM
[wavey] Hi everyone,

I have a question about boxwoods. [Smile]

I know they are usually used as formal hedges...all clipped nice and square or whatever shape. I hate that look. [Eek!]

Has anyone out there ever let one just grow to its natural shape? What did it look like and how big do they get? [dunno]

I like the natural look. There are 3 of them on the side of my garage that I'd love to move to the back for privacy...if they'll do ok without all that trimming. [thumb]

Thanks,

[flower] Janet

-
by KKMedic on May 04, 2006 03:56 PM
I have several in front of my house that I do not prune... they are still compact and pretty, but with a more natural appearance. We planted them a bit over 6 years ago (1 gallon containers) and they stand about 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall and 1 to 2 1/2 feet wide.
Not sure if that answered your question...
KK

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. -Mother Teresa

Work for the Lord - the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's sould remains unawakened."   ~Anatole France
by jmacd on May 05, 2006 02:30 AM
[wavey] Hi KK,

Thank you for your reply. It helps to know about how big they get. These were probably planted about that long ago or almost. But I pruned them somewhat the last 2 years. At this point they are every bit as big as 2-1/2 ft tall and maybe about that wide. Maybe this climate grows them faster.
Anyway, I thank you again, and maybe I'll get brave and transplant them. [Wink] Janet

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: