The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

existing bed: turn it over?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Exciting Project| Next thread: Experience with boxwoods? »
Back to Thread index
by rozy221 on March 17, 2005 06:33 AM
Hi all! I actually got outside for a while today and got to play around! [flower] Now the wheels are really spinning [thinker] I dug a bed last year-turned it over pretty well-planted mostly annuals, but there's some bulbs here and there too. I used red cedar mulch. I now plan to plant perennials (lots of them)-should I turn the soil again? If so, should I mix the mulch into the soil or should I remove it first? Thanks for the help!
by BFVISION on March 17, 2005 02:49 PM
I wouldnt go through all that trouble again [shocked] You know better then anyone the quality of those beds, if you already mulched last year after turning the beds, I would plant this year, apply good fertilizers to my plants, and re-mulch after plantings are in. In the fall I purchase the dehydrated cow manure and work that into the soil. Each year the mulch breaks down, the manure and dead plants break down, and before you know it, you have a great soil that your plants will love [Love] I also dump my coffee grinds all winter throughout my beds too. [nutz] If earthworms are any indicator of soil quality, then I am doing great. [Wink]
Lots of Luck [muggs]

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by rozy221 on March 17, 2005 04:03 PM
hmmmm....that's not the first time I've heard of using coffee grounds-what's the trick? just scatter them around? Anywhere you shouldn't do it? I'm always on the lookout for economical soil-enhancements! Well, I'm relieved that I don't have to turn that bed again-do you think I should incorporate the existing mulch into the planting, or just move it to the side until the plants are in? I'm getting really excited here-they're calling for mid 40's for the next week, although they are saying something about snow this weekend-I think they're lying tho [Razz] Thanks for the help!
by linda12159 on March 17, 2005 04:25 PM
i've heard of the coffee ground thingy too, but not sure what its for! i've also heard something about eggshells, but do you test your soil first before adding these things or can you just toss them in? were suppose to be in the high 40's this week...woooohooooo!! snowed last night though....ugh!!
Linda
by barleychown on March 17, 2005 06:25 PM
I use coffee grounds by the garbage can full! Use them just like you would any amendment...I choose to just scatter them everywhere, the flower beds, the veggie bed, and the lawns...basically anywhere they land. [grin]

The worms really love them! And, if you have a starbucks near you, they will give them to you by the bagful. [thumb]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by JV on March 18, 2005 02:05 PM
I use coffe grounds as well as egg shells in my compost crush the egg shells before you put them in. Basically if it comes out of my kithcen the extra goe into my compost pile that means any veggie trimmings as onion ends lettuce leaves etc. Put it in the compost pile instead of the garbage.
[grin]

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by BFVISION on March 19, 2005 02:14 PM
[gabby] .."And, if you have a starbucks near you, they will give them to you by the bagful." You are absolutely correct. Not all of them do it, but you can imagine my surprise when I recently went to a Starbucks near me and saw the barrel in the corner and all the free bags of used grinds, big ones [thumb] . I just spread it around liberally, no particular plan, As far as the mulch, simply move it aside, dig your hole, slide it back [teacher] I will be doing the same once the ground cooperates [Mad] After I do my annual ritual of moving stuff around, then I re-mulch too [Wink] .
Good Luck

BFVISION [muggs]

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Exciting Project| Next thread: Experience with boxwoods? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: