The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help with morning glory seeds?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Help With min-roses please| Next thread: Help with MumsMums »
Back to Thread index
by kennyso on August 23, 2006 10:09 AM
Finally got my first batch of morning glory seeds in the mail yesterday. So being the anxious me, I deceided to test germinate last nite. Soaked ten seeds in hot water from the tap, nicked about 4 seeds, now I found two that are split open almost in half (looks like the halves are hanging onto each other with a thread) and one has split not as badly as the first two. another seed has swelled so much that the coat is ripped (like in the desert the ground cracks and loks like a tutrle shell almost). One of the really split seeds looks like there's a root poking out. two other seeds which I did not nick have swelled but seed coats have not begun to split. and the remaining four have done nothing so far, should I nick them?

the question that I'm asking is are the cracked seeds already starting to sprout? I've never seen seeds sprout and split in water so fast (less than 24h)!

should I pot up the split seeds and see how long they will survive under my care?

should I nick those last four seeds?

is this 'fast' sprouting/germinating of morning glory or any kind of seed natural?

Oh yeah, and also, who sent me those seeds? there was no note just a message writtene on the inside of the envelope saying, 'these seeds are large and quite hard, hoppefully they survive the mail sorting machine ok. good luck'

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by TulsaRose on August 24, 2006 12:39 AM
Kenny, they will make roots while soaking in water after a day or two sometimes. The shedding or peeling off of the outer coat is normal.

Are you planning on planting them out now? I hope you saved back some seeds for spring planting. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by kennyso on August 24, 2006 01:09 AM
Yep, saved some for spring. Just wanted to expriment, didn't know they were this easy to grow! I want to see how long they can survive in a pot in doors under my 'care'

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by TulsaRose on August 24, 2006 03:10 AM
Maybe they'll do OK if you have a sunny window for them and something to climb? I'm glad I saved back some seeds because the darling garden bunnies managed to chew through almost all the stems on the ones I planted this year. I think I have four or five vines in bloom.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 24, 2006 06:27 AM
I'll be anxious to hear about how well they grow in the house too. [dunno] Of course, I have a lot of shade trees, so I really don't have any windows that would get enough sun to try Morning Glories in the house. [Frown] I have started them under lights in the spring and they did well! [thumb]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on August 24, 2006 03:21 PM
Hello Kenny!

I am wild about morning glories also [grin] ...I must have started at least 75 plants from seed [nutz] [grin] ...I found that they are anxious little seeds...they sprout right away...and getting the the seed coat off the seed by scoring it is essential...so that the new leaves can spread and grow. If the seed coat isn't loose enought the plant will smother and die. I don't know about growing these indoors...they need loads of warmth and light...but a high powered grow light could get you well into December...but they seem to NEED to be outside...mine only lasted a bit when I was starting them from seed...after that....they NEEDED the outdoors...

GOOD LUCK!
CHEERS!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help With min-roses please| Next thread: Help with MumsMums »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: