The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Where can I find a CP in NY?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Super_Noob on October 23, 2006 08:49 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a nursery or flower shop that sells them before. Is this because they're impossible to grow in New York?

I've always wanted to grow one. They look cool. Either that or super mario has really affected the outcome of my interests [nutz]
by angelblossom on October 23, 2006 08:56 AM
[wavey] Super N' not impossible to grow in New Y.. Tom R is a member here from NY and he Grows them as well as other CP's maybe if you Private message him, or He may read this he can answer your question.., they can also be bought from the internet...

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Super_Noob on October 24, 2006 08:50 AM
Thanks. I actually remember seeing some being sold in kmart. I doubt they still sell em though :\
by Patty S on October 24, 2006 09:54 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what the heck a "CP" is! [dunno]

At first, I thought there was a typo in the topic, & you meant to write "Where can I find a COP in NY?"!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on October 24, 2006 10:10 AM
Which part of New York are you in?
I'm in Rockland County - if you are nearby, I can try and help you find one.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Patty S on October 24, 2006 10:19 AM
OK, never mind... I figured it out!  -

So Lynne, if Super_N doesn't live near you, you're not going to help her/him?! [shocked] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on October 24, 2006 10:24 AM
There you go again, Patty relentless!  -

- Try not to scare away the newbies, ok?

Behave yourself, and let Super_Noob speak for themself, K?  -

-
 -
by Patty S on October 24, 2006 10:45 AM
I'm being good!  - ...& I'll be nice to the newbies even if they don't live near me!

Welcome to the forum, Super_N!  -
Some of the folks here are a little nutty, but they're harmless!
...And, MOST of the people here will give you a hand, no matter where you live! [grin]

(The only place I've seen CP's sold is at Walmart.)

-
 -
by Super_Noob on October 25, 2006 02:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Patty S:

At first, I thought there was a typo in the topic, & you meant to write "Where can I find a COP in NY?"!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

hahahah

Don't worry I'm not new to these online forum kind of things. I used to use them quite a lot for gaming in the past. Now I use them mainly for information and research.

Besides, this seems like a very positive and friendly community.

Recently I've been talking to a friend I used to have class with (but never hung out with). Apparently her father owns a hardware store a couple blocks from me that I've known for the past 10 years, and apparently they do have a couple venus flytraps there.

So yeah. Problem solved. Thanks [Razz]
by Patty S on October 25, 2006 07:50 AM
Glad you found the CP you were looking for
...instead of a COP!!  -
quote:
Besides, this seems like a very positive and friendly community.
Not only can we positive & friendly, we have our share of fun here too... so stick around, & make yourself at home!  -

So, where is your friend's father's hardware store at?
Anywhere in Lynne's neck of the jungle?  -

(Do your friends call you "Super_Noob"? Can we call you that too, or do you have a name that doesn't require typing an under_score?) [grin]

-
 -
by badplanter on October 25, 2006 09:03 AM
quote:
Anywhere in Lynne's neck of the jungle?
If your in Lynne's neck of the jungle, I guess you could say your in my neck of the jungle! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [dunno]

I'll look some things up, and see what I can find...

( How about ordering from home on the computer? [dunno] )

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Super_Noob on October 26, 2006 08:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by badplanter:
( How about ordering from home on the computer? [dunno] )
No credit card and I've never used a money order or anything like that. I still have a year to go before I can get a credit card (I'm 17 now :\) so I can't really order anything online. My parents are very paranoid about ordering things in general, because they feel like in doing so, they're forced into a committment, or that there's a catch to every purchase. They're also afraid of a computer (DON'T CLICK ON THAT OR WE HAVE TO PAY).

My mom also doesn't like some of the things I buy. If I buy it with her, she has to approve of it before I can buy it and take it home. But if I walk out there by myself and buy it, then come home with it, and after 3 months she realizes it's there, she won't care.
by badplanter on October 26, 2006 09:50 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] that stinks to have parents like that... my grandparents are just like it!

The buying online thing was just a thought... I'm only 14 myself so I can't order anything as well...it was just a suggestion!... [Big Grin]

Anyway, you can porbably get a CP at a walmart or target... Oh!!! IDEA!!! How about a local florist special orders one for you? (Just another idea... [Big Grin] )

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by plants 'n pots on October 26, 2006 11:35 AM
I hope I didn't scare you when I asked where about you lived? Was just curiuos if you were anywhere around this part of NY, so I might suggest some nurseries.

I did see some VFT in Home Depot 2 days ago that looked pretty healthy - do you have one of those nearby?

-
 -
by Super_Noob on October 27, 2006 08:20 AM
Nah don't worry about it. I'm not reckless enough to post my full address on the internet. And even if I did, I doubt that it would pose any real problems for myself, other than several telemarketers sending mail and calls to my house.

To answer your question from earlier (I forgot you asked), Brooklyn, New York.
by badplanter on October 27, 2006 09:02 AM
quote:
To answer your question from earlier (I forgot you asked), Brooklyn, New York.
Ahh.... your about the closest person from the Forum to me! [thumb] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Hello from a Staten Islander!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

With that in mind, I can surely get you a whole list of florists and places in our area that have CP soon! (hopefully by tomorrow... [Big Grin] )

[thumb]

-
 -
by badplanter on October 27, 2006 09:15 AM
Super_Noob -- I just PM'd you! [thumb]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on October 27, 2006 09:44 AM
Well... I was BORN in Brooklyn and lived there until I was 2, and both my parents grew up there - in Bensonhurst! My grandmother lived there until she died in 1996, and I have a few cousins who grew up there too.

I'm so glad Mark will be able to suggest nurseries, etc!

-
 -
by Super_Noob on October 27, 2006 10:36 PM
There are nurseries in brooklyn? [grin] Never knew that.

Badplanter just reccomended I check out the brooklyn botanical gardens. I now have another reasont o go check them out.
by plants 'n pots on October 27, 2006 11:50 PM
A quick google search brought up this one - anywhere near you?

Midtown Greenhouse Garden Center
115 Flatbush Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11217
(718) 636-0020

-
 -
by Super_Noob on October 28, 2006 02:09 AM
The location, yes, the area code, yes, but the nursery or w/e that is, no. Flatbush is about a 20 minute or half hour drive from where I live, but it can be a pretty bad neighborhood despite there being some pretty great things to do around there (zoo, botanical gardens, brooklyn college).

I've been there every now and then. The last time I went there was to go to a marine recruiting station.

Thanks for the address!
by TomR on October 29, 2006 08:03 AM
VFTs are fairly common in garden centers here in N.Y. However they DO need a dormant period in winter.

Mine are in the fridge as I don't have a unheated basement or garage.

Go here for all you need to know:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

There are several CP dealers on the web that are great, for indoor CPs chose a tropical Sundew or a nepenthes. VFTs are NOT indoor plants, neither are american pitcher plants, they MUST have a dormant period every year.

Happy reading!

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by Super_Noob on October 30, 2006 12:59 AM
sounds great ty!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: