The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Where can I find do it yourself fountain plans/suggestions?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Russ on March 15, 2005 04:23 PM
I would love a garden fountain but want to build it my self. Any suggestions on where I can look for ideas and plans?
by tkhooper on March 15, 2005 05:15 PM
there is lots and lots out there.

There are books and magazines on the subject at my local home depot. And I have watched a number of gardening shows on the subject.

All you need is a waterproof substance from sheets of plastic to concrete, a pump the right size for your idea, something pretty to cover your pump, plastic tubing, and an electrical outlet, and lots of elbow grease.

On one show I particularly liked the guy build a little tiny fountain using nothing more than a plastic quart tub, the pump, and some river stone.

I'm waiting for them to come out with a solar pump like the lights you can get now days. Then I'll have a water feature. Right now running an electrical conduit from my apartment out past the parking lot to the garden would be amusing. Good luck with your project.

-
 -
by frustratedattimes on March 16, 2005 02:10 PM
Hey Russ,
You are going thru the same process I went thru last year. I planned and designed my waterfall and pond and did all the research only to have my wife change her mind at the last minute. [Frown] [nutz] . I did all my research from 3 different places. For my ideas I looked on the internet,, lots of pictures and plans on here. Then I found lanscape or gardening magazines on the subject and studied them. Finally, I went to several landscaping/Pond supply companies in the area and picked their brains, and receieved alot of good advice.
As far as materials go, places like Home Depot carry a fulll line of supplies, from rigid plastic liners, to the waterproof cloth, pumps, fountains, etc..... and most pond supply companies sell do it yourself kits, starting at $600 and going up to $2,000 depending on how fancy and complicated you want to get.

Good luck, and enjoy that water feature when you get it done. [muggs]

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by Bess of the Piedmont on March 16, 2005 05:57 PM
Hi! I'm glad you brought this up. I'm researching this, too. We'd like a waterfall kind of thing to blur out the street noise in our garden. here's some sites:

http://www.thepondguy.com/wgardening.html

http://www.pondsofallkinds.com/gardenmakepond/

http://www.writersforhire.com/petstories/00610000.html

-
 -
by hisgal2 on March 16, 2005 07:24 PM
You can try HGTV.com and DIYnet.com

I am planning to put terracing in front of our house and would like a small fountain of somesort out there. Would love one in the back yard also!! [Smile]

-
 -

-
by catlover on March 16, 2005 08:29 PM
Hi Russ [wayey] ...moving your post to landscaping trials and triumphs.

I know I want to learn more about this...putting in a water fountain/pond/waterfall is on my "must do" list in the near future....but mine will flow down an embankment. Look forward to all the info we can get here....and would also like the "don't ever do this" hints too...those can save us all a lot of time and worries.

I know afgreyparrot has experience with building a pond as well as others here.
Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by Russ on March 17, 2005 04:44 PM
All great tips. In a perfect world I would already have a successful money tree growing in my garden...ha! I had no idea the expense in these fountains, even the faux fountains. This was a last minute decision by my wife to put one in so I had not considered this in my budget. However, taking many of your suggestions I headed out to Home Depot, and with their products, have been able to put together a simple but very nice fountain kit with a large pot I've waterproofed and pump. All for less than $100. It will be nice for the limited room we have and provide a nice "water" sound effect that is so tranquil in any garden. It would be AWESOME to have a waterfall/coy pond, as I love fish, but in this garden it'll will have to wait until that money tree gets a little bigger! LOL [Big Grin]
by hisgal2 on March 21, 2005 01:06 AM
Cool! Make sureyou post pictures so we can see it when your done!! [Smile]

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: