The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

bleeding hearts

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bleeding hearts| Next thread: Blight Resistant Tomato Varieties.. »
Back to Thread index
by fairierose on July 13, 2006 11:49 AM
My bleeding hearts have started to yellow and I was just wondering if anyone just cuts them back or do you let them always die back? I have them in a shade garden with some hostas, ferns and impatience and it would be nice to remove them to let the others shine but I don't want to stunt or harm the bleeding hearts for next year. Thanks! [Love] [/LIST]

----
I removed your email address from this post.
~afgreyparrot

by RugbyHukr on July 13, 2006 02:27 PM
you can cut them back. next year fertilize w/ iron & nitrogen before that happens to prolong the nice foliage.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by fairierose on July 14, 2006 01:48 PM
Cool! [clappy] Thanks for the quick reply.
by johnCT on July 15, 2006 12:57 AM
I usually just let mine die back and then I'll cut the dead foliage off at the soil. Mine just started the annual die back process as well.

John - Zone 6
by fairierose on July 15, 2006 03:17 PM
Thanks John, I have always let mine die back on their own as well. I think I'll experiment this year and trying cutting one back and see how it does compared to the ones that die back naturally - I really love living on the edge
by weezie13 on July 16, 2006 04:46 PM
Yep, I'm jumping on the let mine die back naturally and then picking the stuff up either
in the fall or spring.. *depends on how fast I am or behind schedule*

Mine also die back if it's a really hot dry summer...
If it's cooler and well watered.. it'll stay
right up 'til fall time...

*this one's been a long, hot dry summer already!*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by fairierose on July 16, 2006 05:15 PM
Yes - a long hot summer already and it is only July! Tired of watering but can't stop now... [Wink]

Can't believe it was over 100 today in SO Dakota!

Try to stay cool.
by porter57 on July 17, 2006 04:21 AM
real hot here in st louis too!
im watering twice a day and some of my stuff is still sagging. my bleeding hearts are starting to yellow also. gonna leave em till the bitter end as they are first year plants and i wanna give em a real good start for next year. hopefully ill get more blooms then this year.
they were kinda puny in my opnion this year.
by weezie13 on July 17, 2006 04:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by porter57:
real hot here in st louis too!
im watering twice a day and some of my stuff is still sagging.

Remember for some plants, when they sag, it can
be because they do have enough water..
and or they are just sagging so that they are not standing up and erect in the sun and gathering all that heat...
(some don't need it and get stressed by so much)
so this is their way of getting into the shade without picking up their roots and moving to a new location [Wink] ...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by loz on July 17, 2006 06:56 AM
I always just let mine die down with the heat....... [Smile] It was huge this year and will need divided.
by porter57 on July 17, 2006 11:05 AM
it is the glad blooms that im noticing sagging
just laying over and looking messed up.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bleeding hearts| Next thread: Blight Resistant Tomato Varieties.. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: