The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Caladiums

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Caladium leaves dying| Next thread: calalily black dots and bugs »
Back to Thread index
by lilitu on July 15, 2004 07:24 AM
Hiya!
So I read somewhere that Caladiums go through a 4-5 month dormancy period where the leaves wither and drop off- but it didn't say when this happens.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks!
by gardenmom32210 on July 15, 2004 02:00 PM
My caladiums don't go dormant until it gets cold. Right now they are growing like crazy.

Hope this helps!

Karen [grin]
by weezie13 on July 15, 2004 04:01 PM
Hi Lilitu,
I would say to go by the rule of thumb for your gladiola's, begonia's, things or bulbs you'd get ready for summer time, let go dormant thru winter and so on!!!!

I don't have any of those plants, but I have done some serious drueling on all the pictures of those leaves!!!
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!!!
Such colors and designs.....
so neat in a sea of green!!!

Do you have some???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by dot on July 15, 2004 05:47 PM
Hi! [wayey]
I was told that you have to dig up the Caladium tubers (?) when the weather gets colder because they really are tropical plants. I didn't do that last year and had to buy new ones this spring. Mine are going strong now too but here in Middle Tennessee, I guess I'll have to dig them up in October or November if I want the same plants for next season. I would suspect Omaha would be the same situation.
Please note that I may not know what I'm talking about, [Embarrassed] which is why I signed on to this site in the first place, so I could become a smart gardener!
by weezie13 on July 15, 2004 05:53 PM
Dot,
quote:
Please note that I may not know what I'm talking about, which is why I signed on to this site in the first place, so I could become a smart gardener!
You're right on target!!!

I should have said that
quote:
I would say to go by the rule of thumb for your gladiola's, begonia's, things or bulbs you'd get ready for summer time, let go dormant thru winter and so on!!!!

Treat them as you would as to according to where you live...
If you live in a climate/zone that you'd leave them in, then probably do so..
If you live in a climate/zone that you'd pull your glad's, begonia's, and such types plants...
for winter and cold temp's....pull them out and put them in your basement or where ever they'd store them..

Thank~You!!

Remember it may only take ONE gardener to help with the answers, and that one gardener may be YOU!!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by dot on July 15, 2004 06:03 PM
WOW!!
I got it right?!?! [clappy]
Thanks, Weezie.
And YOU are right about learning. I've only been a member since 7/7 and I find out new stuff every day on this site. I'm thrilled to be a member!
by lilitu on July 15, 2004 07:11 PM
Have I mentioned how much I LOVE THIS SITE!!! Everyone has been sooo helpful. I read books and stuff, but sometimes I just need some reassurrance to make me feel like I know what I'm doing [Smile] I have a sparse Ace of Hearts (?) caladium. She's in a 6" pot right now, and I've been debating whether to plant her- I live with my parents, my dad "plays in the dirt" for therapy. SO I bring plants home for him sometimes that aren't going too well and we do our best to revive them. I've gotten TONS of sickly little things-ya know- I should prolly write all this in my intro that i haven't done yet [Smile]
NE way- thanks everyone!
by dot on July 15, 2004 07:16 PM
I do that too! Some of my most beautiful plants have come from the "clearance" racks of Lowe's and K-Mart! [flower] They just need some luuuuv [Love] !
by njoynit on July 16, 2004 12:13 AM
I let mine get hit by frost & then dig them and toss in paper bag to store then put back out in spring...if don't forget...like this year so this year they got planted in june.
now with THAT said.I did grow in container one year& thoughtI'll bring indoors and have color all winter...wrong they still went dormant on me so think mauybe is the humidity they love...being a tropical and all.I'm a zone 8b S Tx
my arrons do well but my charlotte wharton(similar to lance wharton,just a hair smaller& not as pointy) they don't do as well and seem to NOT be multiplying.

any1 grow the sun ones in a hott area like TX?I wanna know how they perform b4 getting any.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Carly on July 19, 2004 01:21 AM
I have one right now - it was out on the front lot under the austrian pine with the dusty millers - wasn't dying, but it wasn't growing.

Tonite I potted it and put it on the picnic table.

I've grown them in the house before but never in the garden.

I'll take a pic tomorrow and put it up so I can make sure it is a caladium.

One thing I do recall about them is they do not like to be moved once they've found a spot in your room.

(like the finicky ficus)

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Nan D on July 19, 2004 02:15 AM
Hi all: I don't post often here, but I read everything.

At the green house where I bought two Caladium this spring, she told me I had to dig them here in Michigan(zone 5) for the winter. Didn't really want another to dig and store, but they are so beautiful I couldn't pass them by!

Nan
http://community.webshots.com/user/nan1065
by Sami on July 19, 2004 05:55 AM
I don't know anything about caladiums but I really would like to grow some. I have many, many elephant ears (and cannas) and I have never dug mine up. Mine multiply, probably, 5 times over, each year. However, I live in S. Texas, also. I sent out a few cannas, to a couple of ladies on here, and one asked me about raising them. I didn't really know anything about them but when searching for info, I found that in the colder climates, they have to be dug up in the winter. I'm assuming (we all know what that can get us, LOL) that the caladiums would be similar. So, in the North, you would probably wanna dig them up & replant next year.

-
Talentless but connected.
by Carly on July 20, 2004 08:13 AM
In Toronto, Canada - well we do have a good growing season here (and we are currently having those dog days of July - sweaty).

But I don't think caladium would last if left in the ground. I could be wrong though.

I've got one posted up top there - I think it's a caladium.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Caladium leaves dying| Next thread: calalily black dots and bugs »
Back to Thread index