The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help with indoor cacti

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: help with impatiens| Next thread: Help with irises »
Back to Thread index
by rickilynn78 on June 12, 2006 05:02 AM
I am the only person in the world that can kill an indoor cactus! I received a potted cacti garden as a housewarming gift on New Year's eve. There are five different cacti in the pot. Now, it seems that two barrel cacti that are in it are shriveling up. I am also noticing what looks like a fungus (fuzzy and white) growing around the base of the needles and at the top of all of the cacti in the pot. I am a learning gardener and I need help! Is there anything I can do to save my cacti?
by margaret e. pell on June 12, 2006 11:29 AM
"I am the only person in the world that can kill an indoor cactus!"
Shall I tell you how many I've killed? They're actually quite easy to kill, if you don't know what they need. They need a LOT of direct sun and a little water in a quick draining soil. Your barrel cacti may need more water. How often do you water them? The fuzzy white "fungus" is almost certainly mealy bugs. They are sucking the juice from the vulnerable places of your plants, and you've got too many to be subtle. Search TheGardenHelper for mealies, you'll find advice on what to spray them with. "Safer" bug spray has corked a bunch of my cacti. I usually squish them with a toothpick.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: help with impatiens| Next thread: Help with irises »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: