The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

plants for small garden.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by manx on May 24, 2006 11:13 PM
im just replanting a small front garden and wanted to now what plants are easy to maintain and look good in a small space without getting out of control.(a previously had an amaericana there but it got so big it had to be taken out ,with other plants.)im laying pebbles and gravel.thanks.

m.g.bloom
by tkhooper on May 25, 2006 01:20 AM
I don't think you want cacti and succulents because they wouldn't last through your winters so you may want to post this subject in plants and flowers. Otherwise you will get suggestions that don't match your zone.

Now having said that, There are some things you need to figure out before you choose your plants so they will do well in your garden. First off what is the coldest temperature you can expect in your area and what is the hottest temperature. That will allow you to figure out what zone you are in approximately.

Then there is the matter of sunlight. Does your garden get sun all day, just in the morning/afternoon or no sun at all. Or if you are planting trees will the space get dappled sun once they leaf out?

Then there is the matter of pH. Over hear we can buy garden soil test kits at our local garden center. That will tell you the pH of your soil and also how much nitrogen, potassium and phospherous you have in your soil. This can be changed over time to match the plants you would like to have but it does take some time to accomplish.

Next question is about water. If you are going to depend on rain to provide the water you need to know how much rain you get during the growing season and how well your soil retains that water. If you are willing to water your garden that will give you more options usually.

Once the members have this information you'll have plenty of suggestions.

Welcome to the forum

-
 -
by joclyn on May 25, 2006 06:25 AM
couldn't have said it better, myself, tk!

yup, sun/shade of the area, your zone as well as whether you prefer bushes, plants, ground cover or a combonation are what we need to know so we can overwhelm you with suggestions!! [Big Grin]

i'm just kidding!! (well, kind of [grin] )

welcome to the forum! [wavey]
by margaret e. pell on May 26, 2006 01:39 PM
If you like agave, there are some small, hardy ones. There are also winter hardy cacti. (Here come the overwhelming suggestions!) Are these the kinds of plants you want? Tell me your lowest temp and usual hours of sun and I can suggest some possibilities. [Smile]

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by manx on June 29, 2006 12:20 AM
-full sunlight all day just a small 3ft high fence on one side-the garden slopes north to south-chalky bedrock--winter frosts but rarely very cold(more than 2/3 degrees under-intermintantly windy(has been recently)-has been fairly dry recently but normally lot of rainy spells-an agave americana was in the front garden and it did very well,so well it had to be taken out because it got to big.this might suggest the conditions ?i have bought a couple of things ,a strelitzia reginae(bird of paradise)and a dahalia chat noir----one artical said the bird of paradise does well in windy coastal gardens--it looks hardy ,solid green leaves--would plants such as these do well?

m.g.bloom
by tkhooper on June 29, 2006 05:54 AM
I'm stumped. I haven't got a clue. Possible some Sea Thrift? I just don't know what to tell you. I guess I never thought about a sea coast before. I'm going to have to think about this.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum