The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by gardenfairy on July 21, 2006 04:23 PM
Help, we just moved to a new house, and the back yard has 2 GIANT oak trees that do not allow any sun. The grass barely grows back there, espically next to the house. I want to plant something along the bottom of the house to conceal the big bare strip I have, but not really sure what would do well here. I live in Zone 8, it gets hot here, I wanted some foxgloves, but was told they do not grow well here due to the heat. I was thinking columbine? Please help!!!

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by johnCT on July 22, 2006 12:28 AM
Hostas! [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by murphyette on July 22, 2006 04:48 AM
Bleeding Hearts? Does it get ANY sun at all? How tall do you want stuff to get? Hostas are always a nice easy choice, those things would grow on a nuclear dump, I swear.
What about Hydrangea? Those are pretty low maint. But they do need a dappling of sun.
Astilbe might do OK there too.

Jody
by murphyette on July 22, 2006 04:49 AM
forgot to add...if you did Hostas, you could plant a row of Impatients in front of them every year, they would do well in a shaded area like that.

Jody
by RugbyHukr on July 22, 2006 01:39 PM
hot temp shade plants...

abutilon , aucuba japonica , camellia , gardenia, hydrangea macrophylla, acanthus mollis, clivia , aconitum , chinese foxglove ,

grow under oaks...

aucuba, nandina domestica , rhus ovata , bergenia , heuchera

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by gardenfairy on July 22, 2006 03:29 PM
Thanks, I'm going to look around and see if I can find some of these plants. I thought about hosta's and bleeding hearts.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

by porter57 on July 23, 2006 05:55 AM
surround your bleeding hearts with hostas.
the bleeding hearts die back in summer heat and look puny. the hostas will screen them.
maybe intermingle some caladiums with them.
ive also put some calla lilies in and around them and so far they are doing real good,no blooms but plenty of foilage
by gardenfairy on July 23, 2006 11:23 PM
Oh, I bet that would be pretty.

Monica

-

by penny in ontario on July 24, 2006 05:47 AM
That does sound really pretty...this is my first year with hosta's and so far so good with them.
I have also planted calla lilies too and they really are a pretty plant too.
Good luck with it [thumb] [flower] [flower]

-
 -

-
by angelblossom on July 25, 2006 03:02 PM
moon flower bush would be good too a nice fragrance in the evening and produces lots of seeds for more placement

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by gardenfairy on July 25, 2006 03:33 PM
I got some hosta's and I'm looking for bleeding hearts. I have 2 moon flower bushes, LOVE them!!

Monica

-

by murphyette on July 26, 2006 12:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by gardenfairy:
I got some hosta's and I'm looking for bleeding hearts. I have 2 moon flower bushes, LOVE them!!
Do some research on the Bleeding Heart varieties. They have a hybrid out that supposedly blooms all summer, or for the better part of it, anyway.

Jody
by penny in ontario on July 27, 2006 04:38 AM
That would look nice with the Hosta's, can you post some pics once your done?

-
 -

-
by jbaby7162000 on August 07, 2006 03:15 AM
i have some bleeding heart seeds ,maybe we could tradefor some of your moon flower seeds

joanne
by patches1414 on August 08, 2006 01:24 PM
I use hostas, ferns, Astilbe, Coral Bells, Lily of the Valley, Sweet Woodruff, Bleeding Heart, and just added Mukdenia rossii 'Crimson Fans' this year. [Wink] It was too late to see the little white flowers that bloom in the spring, but the foliage is awesome! [thumb] This plant is hardy to from zone 4-9, so it might be a good choice! [Wink] I'm thrilled with mine and can't wait until next spring to see the flowers. [Smile]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: