The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

can you root clippings from roses???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by pagarden on March 15, 2006 12:11 PM
a neighbor has a pretty good size miniature rose bush in the corner of his yard. i've noticed it before because it's very pretty in bloom. last summer my daughter picked one and brought to to me as a present and OH MY! i don't know what kind it is but it has the most heavenly scent! i have never ever smelled such a sweet smelling rose! SOO..... i want to take a cutting in spring and try to root it. do roses do well with cuttings? and specific suggestions for roses?
by pagarden on March 15, 2006 12:14 PM
ok- i am officially a dork- i was reading my other post about bamboo and wanted to ask about roses and didn't switch boards before i did. sorry- feel free to move it for me. [perplexed]
by MissJamie on March 15, 2006 12:27 PM
yea you sure can! just take a cutting but make sure you make the cutting at a slant like this / and not straight across like this -- you can stick it in water or stick it in potting soil and keep it moist but not soaking wet. you can also wetten the end of the cutting and dip it in rooting hormone and then stick it in the water or stick it in the soil. make sure you strip all of the leaves off except maybe the top 2 or 3 leaves. good luck! what kind of rose is it that you have by the way?

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by pagarden on March 16, 2006 09:43 AM
i have no idea which kind it is! all i remember is that it had the most awesome smell and they were small mini flowers. i made a mental note to take a cutting in spring so i can try to grow my own! wish me luck! i'll have to post pictures when it's in bloom so you all can help me figure it out.
by Southern Gardener on March 20, 2006 10:01 AM
My husband has had great success with getting rose clippings to root. He cut the bottoms off 2 liters plastic bottles and covered the cuttings with it.
I suppose it acts like a Bell Jar and keeps the cutting at the right humidity.

Also he's had more success with hardy climbing roses than any other.

Yes, he used the rooting hormone too.

All the best.

Sandy
by Buglady on March 20, 2006 10:12 AM
You might want to check and make sure it is not grafted. Many roses are these days and if you root the cuttings and then plant them out they may not do as well. If you look at the mother plant near the soil line you would be able to see the graft union. If not grafted ,roses are easy to root, just use some rooting hormone and 50/50 mix of peat and pearlite.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: