The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Can you plant Lillies and Glads together?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Sir Ts Princess on May 18, 2006 06:45 AM
Ok, here's my issue...My MIL loves her lillies and Glads. She has an abundance of lillies, but not as many Glads. Since my FIL is wanting their current weed filled growing space, I'm transplating as many as I can to where I can in my attempt at working on her patio. She has a space between her house and patio, not very large that she wants flowers in. It's currently just "weed filled". Any and all help appreciated as I was thinking of putting her some glads and lillies there that way they won't be able to "take over" too much thus elimiating our current problem yet keeping everyone happy.

-
by joclyn on May 18, 2006 09:21 AM
i don't see why you couldn't put the glads at the back of the area and the lillies up front.

just make sure to leave some room (about a foot) so the glads get some sunlight so they can grow properly - mulch the bare section heavy and you shouldn't have any problem with weeds.
by Sir Ts Princess on May 18, 2006 04:16 PM
I put the plants down in the space. The space wasn't a small wide space, it was a narrow space. So, since I couldn't fit one plant behind the other without running into issues with the mobile home skirting, I decided to plant them as follows (L=lilly, G=glad)
L,G,L,G,L,G,L,all the way to the end of the space, at which point I realized that I had an "extra plant", so I sat the two down together in the same spot. LOL Tomorrow I'm going out to put down some Asyllum seed to make a ground cover to help control the weeds in that area. Wish me luck. But, from what she has seen so far, she likes it.

Thanks for your ideas with the weeds. I'm probably going to put down some mulch too. But, am hoping that the Asyllum will do it's job.

-
by tkhooper on May 19, 2006 12:25 AM
Glads can be touchy about other plant roots around their area. I know this is true if grass gets around them. So your Asyllum needs to have shallow roots or roots that go straight down rather than traveling around. Hope that makes sense. It does sound like it is going to be very pretty. Good luck with your project.

-
 -
by Sir Ts Princess on May 19, 2006 12:44 AM
It's supposed to be 1 plant that grows to 4 inches then spreads out...so... I do know that the glads haven't had the most favorable of growing conditions in the past year. I'm hoping they will actually do a bit better in this new location. I though that I'd put some of the seed in the area of the bed that doesn't have plants, that way hopefully it will branch out over the lillies and glads, but not set it's roots on top of them. Thanks for wishing me luck. I keep reminding myself that if I tackle one project at a time this yard will look great in no time without seeming as bad as it really is. [Smile]

-
by Jiffymouse on May 19, 2006 01:53 PM
i have glads and lillies in the same bed and they are fine. i have iris, amaryllis, and easter lily in the same bed with them! so far, all have bloomed on schedule.
by gomerp618 on May 21, 2006 10:59 AM
I just spent hours digging up the flower bed in front of my house.. it was FULL of glads, tulips and lillies.. all crowded in, all growing great. I think total I pulled over 200 bulbs out of that little flower bed (it's about 6 foot long and about 3 foot deep and the middle has a raised area with a rose bush in it) and they were all so crowded in there I can't tell them apart. I knew them apart with the leaves and flowers on them, but after pulling them out and getting them ready to store, I jumbled them up.. so next year will be fun! LOL!

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: