The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Japanese Maple Questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Japanese Maple Questions| Next thread: japanese maple seedlings »
Back to Thread index
by hisgal2 on December 24, 2005 11:55 PM
Wasn't sure if this should go here or landscape trials and triumphs because it is mostly a question about the maple, but I have to explain my landscping plan first...

Our move to Alaska has been put on a temporary hold. Instead of moving this coming summer, we are now looking at early spring of 2007. This extra time will give us some extra time to save some extra money which will make it easier for us to find somewhere to stay while the house is being built.

While Stephen and I are both involved with the house planning, he doesn't much care about the landscaping around the house. We are looking at plots that are 1.5 to 2.5 acres in size and that are mostly rectantgles that are not far off of being square. I'd like the house situated back from the front of the lot allowing a nice driveway to lead the way to our house. This driveway will allow me to clear parts of the land (which will most likely be untouched, untamed land) and put in some really nice eye catchers and such.

I say all of this to ask if anyone knows much about the Japanese Maple?? Where I live, there are many people who have them and I just love them! their color...their shape...everything about them. I haven't been able to find much information that I want on them. First of all, I can't figure out what zone we'll be moving to. If you look at the map of Alaska and find Suldotna and Kenai, they are about 100 miles apart. Close to longitude 152 and latitude 60 intersection.Alaska
Then when I look at the hardiness map , I can't figure out which zones those places are in...there are too many zones too close together for me to figure out which zone...there are like 5 zones cramed in there!

So, how hardy are these trees??? They do just well here in Pennsylvania. I'm on the border of 6a and 6b...which is where I THINK Suldotna, AK is.

Can anyone else figure out what zone we'll be in if we move close to Suldotna or Kenai??? Anyone have any other suggestions for some nice trees (not too many) or plants that I can put around the house?? The summers will only get into the mid 70's there...this I know.

-
 -

-
by Bill on March 07, 2006 08:52 AM
From what I was able to learn, the Kenai peninsula is all either zone 5 or 6. Most Japanese Maples are hardy to zone 5 so they should do fine there, but check on the individual cultivar to be sure.
Many Pieris are hardy to zone 4.
Heather (Calluna vulgaris) is hardy to zone 4.

-
by obywan59 on March 07, 2006 11:37 AM
Actually, it looks like the northern part of the peninsula is in zone 4A. And that is where Kenai and Soldotna appear to be to my eye.

Alaska USDA Hardiness Zone Map

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by obywan59 on March 07, 2006 11:49 AM
Here is another link that shows the average last frost date for Kenai as May 29 with the "safe" date of June 12. Scroll down to near the bottom for Alaska.

NW frost dates

-
Terry

by The Plant Doc on March 07, 2006 11:05 PM
If you contact the Chamber of Commerce in the town which you are moving to, they should be able to tell you what zone they are in. You could also pop the zip code into one of many weather sites such as WWW.Weatherunderground.com and check out the historical information it has on the local weather.
Hope these ideas help

Mike

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by obywan59 on March 08, 2006 12:35 AM
I found the town of Kenai website last night, but they didn't have any climatological data there. However, I did check again this morning and they do have an e-mail address for their Chamber of Commerce.

Kenai

-
Terry

by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 02:19 AM
Acer griseum Maple, Chinese Paperbark zone 4 to 7

Carpinus japonica Japanese Hornbeam zone 4 to 9

Ginko Biloba Maidenhair Tree zone 3 to 9

Heptacodium miconioides Seven Son Flower zone 4 to 8

Rhus typhina 'Tiger Eyes' Tiger Eyes Sumac zone 4 to 8

Hope these give you some ideas for the area you are moving to.

-
 -
by Northroader on March 19, 2006 11:27 AM
First off, I have an Amur Maple tree. It does well but hasn't grown very much in the last 10 years. Have to watch out for moose!
The Kenai and Soldotna zones are about 4 to 5. Soldotna tends to be a bit warmer than Kenai in the summer and colder in the winter.
Kenai is only about a 10 minute drive from Soldotna. Don't be fooled by all the maps on the internet. They aren't accurate as they should be.
Good luck in your move.

www.northroader.com

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Japanese Maple Questions| Next thread: japanese maple seedlings »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: