The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Japanese Maple Tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: japanese maple seedlings| Next thread: Japanese peony »
Back to Thread index
by LandArt on October 05, 2006 07:44 AM
Hello, my significant other and I are new to this board, he's a Landscape Architect and I'm a Civil Engineer. We both enjoy landscaping and have done quite a bit this past summer at the house we bought in the spring. We bought a japanese maple (prox. 15 gallon bucket) and planted it over Memorial Day weekend in about 90 degree weather. The tree has done well, it was planted properly (with all the fertilizer and layers and mounding so no standing water, etc.) and was a beautiful red color until about a month ago - when it turned green. Our question is, does anyone know why it turned green (our best guess is that one of the parents of the cultivar caused it to revert back to green) and/or what, if anything, can be done to make it be red again? It's a Trompenburg variety. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated!
by joclyn on October 05, 2006 10:57 AM
see the bottom of this page for more info.

here's a picture showing it with green leaves edged in red.
by LandArt on October 07, 2006 10:19 PM
Thanks for the info.! We've planted the bloodgoods quite a bit, but this was our first Trompenburg - glad to see it's behaving normally!
by joclyn on October 08, 2006 11:24 AM
you're welcome!!

it's a particularly beautiful j.maple...altho, they're all lovely!!

forgot earlier...welcome to the forum!
by LandArt on November 06, 2006 06:16 AM
Thanks for the ID! We were so relieved to see it was behaving normally! Gonna post a picture now that dodge showed me how to do it. And thanks for the welcome to the forum - this place is great!

-
by chenno on November 06, 2006 07:33 AM
I have one too, just a cutting from a pal, It is so neat, but mine is small, and in the summer the leaves were like yours a nice reddish,now indoors the leaves fell off and now green.But I am wondering if mine is really this or not, I will need to get a pic and post this week:-)

I hope so,as yours is so pretty!

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by LandArt on November 06, 2006 08:20 AM
Thanks! We kept seeing it at the nursery we frequent, we wanted it but weren't sure because of what we figured the price tag would be. Memorial Day weekend I mistakenly bought a very invasive form of bamboo, so figured I'd "compensate" to my significant other by letting him buy this tree! One of the best purchases we've made so far!
by chenno on November 06, 2006 08:27 AM
Well mine is tiny..have to do the indoor outdoor thing,Indeed a great purchase,Awesome Tree;-)

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: japanese maple seedlings| Next thread: Japanese peony »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: