The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need some help starting out!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: need some help please| Next thread: need some help w/ my coleus »
Back to Thread index
by lynseelu20 on April 03, 2006 02:44 AM
Hello! I am a newbie to the gardening world. I am currently living in a small apartment in Duluth, MN and would like to start a container garden. I do have a small patio that faces west. I am interested in growing tomatoes, peppers, garlic, and some other herbs. I have been researching container gardens on line but it is all a bit confusing. I know that this site is full of experienced gardeners and I would enjoy any help possible! I am very excited to start this new hobby and already cannot wait to get an actual garden. What kind of suggestions can you help me out with to start my container garden.

*LynseeLu*
by Deborah L. on April 03, 2006 03:23 AM
Hi Lynseelu,
You've made some good choices for your container garden. I've been a container gardener for years.
You can grow just about anything in pots, as long as the size is right for the full grown plant.
ALWAYS invest in good potting soil !
I'm a bit concerned about your west-facing patio-do you get any southern exposure?
Best of luck and happy gardening ! [thumb]

-
 -
by lynseelu20 on April 03, 2006 03:37 AM
Thanks Deborah,

I do in fact have some south facing space on my patio. Will that be ok for growing things?

*LynseeLu*
by Deborah L. on April 03, 2006 05:37 AM
It's a much brighter picture, ha ha, that you have some southern exposure.
You have the same exposure that my patio has. What annoys me no end is having to drag containers around to get the best of the sun. My patio is very large, about 50 feet long, but it still has its challenges sun-wise.
You can grow fuschias and other flowers that like shade too.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on April 03, 2006 05:45 AM
50 feet ???? it's about 30. Typo.

-
 -
by Triss on April 03, 2006 06:31 AM
Hi there LynseeLu, All of your choices sound awesome for containers. Can you hang some of the herbs at all? That would help you with space.

Peppers do great, but in such a small space you may want to stick with sweet or hot but not both due to cross pollination issues.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Deborah L. on April 03, 2006 06:44 AM
Great idea about hanging pots, Triss ! Strawberries would be great, and those hanging tomatoes that are called Tumblers.
That was interesting about not growing hot and sweet peppers close to one another. I hadn't heard that. Learning alot here ! [thumb]

-
 -
by peppereater on April 03, 2006 06:54 AM
Triss! Great to see you up and around!
Is it true that when peppers cross pollinate, sweet ones can become hot, etc? I've heard that all my life, but a friend who is a scientist said that only affects the genetics of the seed, not the fruit. [dunno]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Triss on April 03, 2006 07:33 AM
Interesting Dave. I do not mind so much if it changes the peppers flavor cuz I usually mix mine anyhow when I cook and such, but I do want to be able to collect good seeds for the next season so I try and keep mine in different areas, it is often hard to do in small spaces.

-
 -
by dodge on April 03, 2006 10:46 AM
HOW ABOUT LETTUCE? MINE IS GROWING RIGHT NOW ON THE WINDOW SILL HERE IN THE KITCHEN.. WE ATE THE FIRST ROUND TONITE.......WORKS INSIDE ON THE EAST SIDE ......WHY NOT ON THE WEST OR SOUTH OURSIDE?
[Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]

DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by lynseelu20 on April 03, 2006 12:21 PM
Thank you all for your help! I am going to start my herbs tomorrow and am waiting for Menards to get some tomatoe plants in before I start on those. Good idea on the hanging pots Triss! Has anyone tried the Topsy Turvy Upside Down Planter? I am just wondering if it actually good for tomatoes and peppers or if it just a gimic!
Deborah, can i grow some strawberries up here in northern minnesota? If so that would be great! I love to make them into jelly! Any other hints or help about starting out in the container gardening experience is greatly appreciated!!

*LynseeLu*
by Triss on April 03, 2006 12:27 PM
Check out this topic befoer you go out and buy a special pot.
Upside Down Tomato

-
 -
by Deborah L. on April 03, 2006 12:29 PM
I don't really know for sure, because I'm third generation Californian, but I don't see why you couldn't have strawberries there too. You could put large trash bags over your pots in cold weather. That's what I do.
When people talk about "overwintering" I don't really know what it means. I thought everything but Christmas trees dies in the winter?
Hope nobody's laughing.... [perplexed]

-
 -
by Triss on April 03, 2006 12:36 PM
Deborah,

Overwintering is pretty much bring in plants that are not hardy in your zone so that they survive the winter to be planted again in th spring. In some cases it is just bringing the plant into a warmer space so that it does die off but the roots do not freeze and die and will regrow the next season.

In the case of plants like peppers, you can bring them in so that they continue to grow all winter long. They often ease off in fruit production and will hibernate but will continue to grow again come spring and then you are way ahead of the game.

-
 -
by lynseelu20 on April 03, 2006 01:06 PM
Thanks againg Deborah and Triss. I am going to be on the lookout for some buckets so I can plant my tomatoes and peppers upside down. What type of tomatoes do you recommend for that? And would it be ok to plant my basil, oregano, cilantro, parsley in the tops of the buckets? Save some more space!!! You all are helping me out so so so much!

*LynseeLu*
by Triss on April 03, 2006 01:11 PM
You would have to go with Roma or smaller so that the tomatoes do not break the stenms as they grow. And yes, you can do planting in the tops as well. Great place for spices!

-
 -
by Deborah L. on April 04, 2006 01:26 AM
Oh ! I thought overwintering was mulching with hay and dirt and things. Maybe it's bringing in small things and mulching big things?
And then there's something about covering veggies with sand in basements? Confusing !

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: need some help please| Next thread: need some help w/ my coleus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: