The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

need some help w/ my coleus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Beccers on November 22, 2004 07:37 AM
i recently got this little coleus plant i first put it out in the yard but it started dying therefore i brought it in and put it right by a window where it gets a lot of light[its doing better].
the problem is that the leaves are like hanging down as though they are dead, i'm watering them every other day. new leaves are coming out but the leaves are just not straight open and vibrant they look as though theyre too tired to stand straight.[i hope i got the point through.]
any advice is greatly appreciated,
Becca
by weezie13 on November 22, 2004 06:48 PM
Hi Beccers, [wayey]
Can I ask if there's a top of the plant that
looks ok????
Or perky?? And not looking like the bottom?

Anyways, if you snip the top off
and put it in water, those plants root...

I think you need some good light and
reasonably warm for them..
*I tried, but mine were too dark, not much window
space here, and it's cold where I had it!!

But give it a try,
and if you said there's new leaves coming out of the stems (at the nuk where the original leaves came out of the stem???) they should come out there fine and you probably won't need the original big leaves..

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Beccers on November 24, 2004 05:35 PM
thanks for ur advice, but , why would i want to take the top leaf and put it in the water?, how does that help?? [i'm not good with plants]

Thanks again,
Becca
by loz on November 25, 2004 12:02 AM
If you cut the top and some of the stem off and put them in water they'll eventually grow roots and you'd be able to plant the cutting in a different pot and start a new one.....I do that a lot with plants that start to look bad.....I'll just start a new one and it usually does a lot better.

If you are watering every other day I'm thinking that you may be overwatering.....that's the most common reasons plants don't make it. Although I know coleus do prefer plentiful moisture. I'd pinch off any leaves that look really bad so it cut put that energy into the rest of the plant.

Hope your Coleus makes it!

laura [Smile]

Active Garden Forum