The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Best plants for water gardens

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: best material| Next thread: Best potting soil for Lucky Bamboo »
Back to Thread index
by SpringFever on April 14, 2006 08:18 PM
I put in a little pond last year, and was wondering about the best plants for it.
I have a lotus, and that is about it.
Also I hate the plastic water fall is there any suggestions on what I could do with that?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by langford on April 26, 2006 05:50 AM
Well lets see,, hmm i have the same problem..and haven't gotten anywhere with that..and i'm putting in 2 more ponds..one a preformed one..which is my old one from last year..but we found a new one at a discounted price..so we bought it..and now we have 2 preformed ones..and then i am putting one in..all the way around my tree...it's a little tree...and the tree is going to be an island..i'd prefer to fill up the entire yard with a pond..and hopefully the little school brats that run through my yard to get home will fall in..HAHAHAHAHA..yeah i need a fence..but if anyone gives ya any ideas..let me know cause i could use them as well..Thanks
by Pianolady on April 26, 2006 08:36 AM
Rocks, rocks, and more rocks is the way to hide anything plastic. I'm using a brown pot as my veggie filter, and managed to disguise it by collecting more rocks from my yard. I've seen flat rocks laying across one of those fiberglass falls, and it did a pretty nice job of covering them up. Here's my big flower pot waterfall.

-

-
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 08:44 AM
Hey that is a great Idea for the ugly black waterfall we have pianolady.. nice job !!

hey welcome to the forum nice to meet you Both! [wavey]

-
 -
by langford on April 26, 2006 08:51 AM
Yes that is, we have the same black waterfall springfeaver...wondering what to do with to stop making it looks so dang cheap..we put rocks in the plastic thing..geeze..i know i'm going to ruin this new pond somehow...i'm still curious on my liner..hope that works out..cause i'm thinking it's going to spring a leak..
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 02:59 AM
Mine was fine even totally froze..
I was thinking spray paint but not sure if it will be toxic to my no fish?

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 03:35 AM
what are you spray painting?
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 03:50 AM
The ugly waterfall!

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 03:55 AM
ohhhhhhhh ..i don't think you should do that with fish..but that's your choice..if they are belly side up...i'd say it wasn't a good choice..hehe
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 04:00 AM
They are already dead from that friggin bird!!

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 04:44 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA...yeah that's right..but if you want to put more in there..well..maybe since your birds are so mean..you should stick with those fake fishies..hehe
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 05:24 AM
I used to have a solar floating ball that kept them away but my son broke it...

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 05:31 AM
Hmmm got to love children don't ya..they tend to break everything..my sisters boy yesterday just took a dvd marker..and made prettys all over her carpet..sweet baby...
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 07:43 AM
Oh my gosh I would flip out!!!

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 07:50 AM
She was...and she was scrubbing..hehe..i was laughing hysterically
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 07:51 AM
holy crap did she get it out??

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 07:59 AM
yeah she did..thank god..i don't know how but i know she was going at it for over 2 hours..hahahahahaha...
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 08:41 AM
I would of totally flipped a nut!!! poor thing !! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] bet she needed a drink after that! [muggs]

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 08:59 AM
She can't drink right now, she's pregnant with another one..none the less..another boy...hahahahahahahaha...
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 09:40 AM
Ohh my god I would of still had a glass of wine!
(thank god I tied the tubes) I remember those days and it stinks trying to run around after one and wobbling the whole way..no thanks!! I only have 3 thats enough for me!!

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 09:50 AM
Yeah me too..fun fun fun..so i just laugh at her all the time about it..hehe
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 10:20 AM
I jsut hope it gets better than diapers! sick of that! [scaredy]

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 10:22 AM
oh i don't think it does...they are the best when they are infants..after that..it's all downhill..hehe..j/k..its always fun with them..they do things that make ya laugh your pants off..well only if they are not yours do people laugh
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 10:26 AM
ugggg crap!! well I guess they are getting more funny but still geting more attitude!

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 10:50 AM
yeah ..that does happen real bad..i have a 12 & 11 yr old..and they are rotten to the core..my daughter has more attitude than i do...
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 10:57 AM
I have all boys i am thrilled !! No extra Pms !! LOL Never really wanted a girl.. but my 11 year old really gives me a run !!

-
 -
by langford on April 28, 2006 05:54 AM
PMS with girls stink..ya know? My daughter has been pre-menstrual for about a year now..with symptoms every month..ugh.and the attitude that comes with that..surely isn't like me..you can't tell when that thing is coming..i don't show any sign of pms..oh well..maybe she will grow out of it..hehe..It's beautiful out today..wish i could be at home..planning or digging..or something!!! ya know?
by SpringFever on April 28, 2006 05:56 AM
Just got back from the greenhouse !! gonna plant some flowers!! yippy !!
I think boys get it too though so moody sometimes! [dunno]

-
 -
by langford on April 28, 2006 06:18 AM
oh i love going to the greenhouse..i use to go to the greenhouse in illinois..they supplied to all the stores..lowes menards home depot..stuff like that..well they would also sell from the greenhouse..there were about 50 of them..you want to talk about a selection..holy toledo..i couldn't believe it.ya know? unreal..beautiful..but it's to far to keep doing that..and i never got anything there that i couldn't get at a greenhouse by us..but it was so beautiful to see it..and about the boys..oh gosh yes..i think men have a cycle as well..well enjoy planting your flowers..i wish i could now..but mine will DIE..
by SpringFever on April 28, 2006 07:10 AM
Mine is great they only sell the flowers that will be fine outside right now...

-
 -
by langford on April 28, 2006 09:53 AM
That's nice..see then i would have a reason to keep going throughout the year..right? hehe
by SpringFever on April 28, 2006 10:31 AM
yep only a few weeks ..

-
 -
by langford on April 29, 2006 05:36 AM
yeah..that always stinks..that is the best part is going and picking them out..all the different kinds and beautiful flowers..i think i'm going to do red begonias in my front yard again..can't find any other red flower that i really like..and hubby likes the red in front..
by Pianolady on April 29, 2006 06:26 AM
Got one more idea for that preform falls. Any black that still remains after you put rocks in it....bare root some sturdy double impatiens, and stick them in the rocks where any black shows.

You could also mound dirt all the way to the top of the plastic, and plant it with groundcover, and top it off with rocks to hide the black trim. This can cut down the amount of rocks you need if they are hard to get in your area. If you sparsely dig rocks into the sides of your berm you create around your prefab ponds, you'd have yourself a nice little rock garden.

-
by djwilliams on May 01, 2006 06:07 AM
Langford- You may want to rethink your idea of the tree island in a pond. It looks very wonderful on paper, but remember that any small tree becomes a bigger tree, even dwarf cultivars. Tree roots can push the liner upward, creating a spillover somewhere else in the pond. Roots can grow through a liner as well. Our water garden association president tried this in his first pond and it was impossible to maintain, and think of the work to repair/replace it- I mean you'd have a big hole in your liner right in the middle of your pond.
Don
by langford on May 03, 2006 03:09 AM
Yes good thinking Don, but here is what i was thinking I will just repair the pond when this happens..right..i mean the freaking liner i'm getting for free..and by that time i'm thinking i'll want it even bigger..so hey..gives me an excuse to tear the thing up and keep digging..but who knows..my hubby is worried about the same thing..i said KILL THE FREAKIN TREE THEN..although i have alot of trees that are staying small..so maybe it just is a small tree..i mean the thing is like 5 ft tall..and it's been this size since we bought our house 3 1/2 years ago..so obviously it doesn't grow fast..r.ight?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: best material| Next thread: Best potting soil for Lucky Bamboo »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: