The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Best potting soil for Lucky Bamboo

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Ducay on March 29, 2005 10:00 AM
Hey there,

I am looking at moving one of my draecena from water to soil; but am unsure of what type of potting soil is best. I have read that it will need a mixture with good drainage and good moisture holding, but I have no clue how to achieve that. I am hoping on using the same pot, but it has no drainage holes in it. Are these holes required? (I could try drilling a hole in it)

Thanks, and any and all lucky bamboo tips are more than appreciated!
by Sheri&Kiki on March 29, 2005 10:14 AM
Hi there! Welcome to the forum! [wayey]
Any well-drained all-purpose potting soil can be used for the lucky bamboo. Just keep it moist, especially until it adjusts to being in soil.
As for the pot, if you can drill a hole in the bottom, by all means, do that. If you can't, you really need to find a pot with drainage holes. If the water sits in the bottom, it can and will cause root rot in most plants, resulting in the death of the plant.
Good luck with your plant! Glad you came aboard, and hope to see you soon! [flower]

-
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
by Ducay on March 29, 2005 07:58 PM
Here is a picture of the plant to be planted in soil, as well as the pot I would like to use.

-

I am planning on drilling a hole in the bottom of it, then putting a layer of pebbles in the bottom. Then the rest will be soil. I am still a little hazy as to what mix of soil I should. Should I just use plain old potting soil, so should I mix in some vermiculite, peatmoss, sand, or some pebbles?

Also, does it look like that pot will be big enough?

Thanks again
by Sheri&Kiki on April 01, 2005 06:17 AM
Any well-drained potting mix will work...as for the pot being big enough, personally, I'd say no. But then I've had to repot a few dracaenas, their roots were growing out all the holes! [shocked] [grin]

-
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: