The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What does Woody mean?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Culinary_herb_Dude on April 12, 2006 08:11 AM
I've read in a few Garden books that if you do some things (over water Rosemary for instance) it can make the Herb taste "Woody". I hate to seem like a dip. But what exactly does this mean? Does it make the Herb taste like wood or what. I'm just curious.

If you can't do something smart, do something right
by Amber J on April 12, 2006 10:23 AM
Heehee. You said woody. [angel]
by weezie13 on April 12, 2006 10:58 PM
Okay you guys..
He's talkin' herbs here... [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

As the herbs grow, the newer stems/stalks are tender, younger, thinner, growths..
As the plant ages, and grows, and doesn't really
put on new growth.... the plant developes harder, older, tougher growth, similar to bark on a tree.

So, the flavor and textures change the older the plant grows...

Does that help a wee~bit!?!?!?!?!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on April 13, 2006 07:45 PM
My basil has the bark type trunk and I haven't noticed a change in flavor. Could be I'm only and my sense of taste isn't as sharp as it could be.

-
 -
by Buglady on April 15, 2006 11:04 AM
A woody ornamental is something that does not die to the ground in the winter. Things like trees and shrubs. Rosemary is a shrub.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by Culinary_herb_Dude on April 21, 2006 02:59 PM
Thanks for all the info you guys. I haven't as of yet noticed a change in taste of any of my herbs.

Next on my "to Grow" list is Greek Oregano. I'll just have to be careful and not bend over around it. lol

If you can't do something smart, do something right
by mater sandwich on April 26, 2006 10:50 AM
Doh!!!! {Homer Simpson voice}

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by gardenjunky on April 29, 2006 11:56 AM
Did a double take, I did... [Embarrassed] My rosemary gets leggy,woody stems if I keep it outside where it gets a lil neglected, but it gets very tall and the stems are good on the grill(soak em first).Especially good when you grill a chicken or tenderloin.....mmmm mm [thumb]
by peppereater on April 29, 2006 12:17 PM
gardenjunky...you ever try rosemary with pork? MMMMMMMM! I want to try it with lamb, never tried that or beef...Mine flowered for 2 months this spring, but the taste was always fine.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Eagle on May 01, 2006 12:55 PM
Can you burn the rosemary woody stems in the fire to add flavor to the grilled meat of choice?
by mater sandwich on May 01, 2006 03:06 PM
Now that's an idea! Wonder how that would turn out?

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: