The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

what exactally is the difference

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: What does Woody mean?| Next thread: What Flowers in Florida »
Back to Thread index
by phoenix on May 06, 2005 06:45 PM
[wayey] all,
iths may fall under the catagory of "dim witted questions" but.... [dunno] what is the difference between cat nip & cat mint? i was just wondering because both are such a nice looking plant. i've grown catnip for my cat. i didn't know if catmint is good for cats as well?? [thinker]
spanx to all [Wink]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Gardencrazy on May 09, 2005 06:15 AM
[wayey] Phoenix-
From what I can make out they are the same plant Nepeta cataria. I wish I hadn't looked up now though. [Embarrassed]

Donna [flower]

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by weezie13 on May 09, 2005 06:58 AM
I might have said they were cousins???
Not sure though,
I googled info too... and it did put the info
as both names..

But I've ground cat nip... and the flowers are white.
For the cat mint, the flowers are blue *or a purple*???
Cat nip and cat mint care

Not sure??

Anyone????

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Gardencrazy on May 09, 2005 07:26 AM
Hey Weezie-
I found another name to Nepeta nervosa. This one has the purple-blue flowers.

Donna [flower]

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by plants 'n pots on May 09, 2005 01:43 PM
Years ago, I bought what I thought was a catnip plant, but turned out to be catmint - does have blue flowers. Interestingly... my indoor and feral outdoor cats are not in the least bit interested in the catmint. They do, however, love cat nip toys, etc. I haven't seen fresh catnip plants for sale around here - only the catmint.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by phoenix on May 09, 2005 06:58 PM
thank you all for your replies.
i think i will keep the cat nip seperate from the cat mint and only give my cat the catnip.
see if the outdoor cats in the neighborhood like the catmint??

-
 -
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by PlantFaerie on May 14, 2005 07:27 PM
From what I've read and researched (I have a cat so I figured I'd look it up sooner rather than later) Cat Nip and Cat Mint are cousins and It reacts wierd with cats. Some cats won't touch cat nip and loooove the mint. It just works different for different cats. My cat loves the nip but I haven't been able to find the mint to try it on her [Smile]
Oh I almost forgot! [Embarrassed] I bought catnip from walmart the seedling not the seeds. I'll check and see if they have mint, I usually forget to look [dunno] Hope this helps you! [kitty]
by phoenix on May 14, 2005 07:57 PM
thanx plantfaerie,
i just didn't want to take the chance that it would harm my kitten if i gave her cat-mint [thumb] i know of a few places where i can purchase some of both [grin]

-
 -
by PlantFaerie on May 15, 2005 12:56 AM
You are most welcome! I can't remember where I read that or I'd send it to you. My cat, Bastet, Bast for short, will eat most things but when it comes to plants she's very picky. She goes gaga for fresh cat nip, wants to eat my geraniums' flowers, sleep in my peppermint (but not eat it) and pretty much steers clear of everything else. [Roll Eyes] Cats are just wierd like that! lol! [kitty] [nutz]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: What does Woody mean?| Next thread: What Flowers in Florida »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: