The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

soggy bottom

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Softwood Cuttings| Next thread: Soggy dills and cucumber cake »
Back to Thread index
by ranee_renee23 on March 18, 2005 04:34 AM
i have a problem. i recently bought my first home, when i purchased this home the weather was very dry. as the weather is now wet i have noticed that my yard is lower than my neighbors. resulting in flooded areas in my yard. here's my problem, these areas are along the edges of my yard and in full sunlight all day long. what can i plant that will live in these conditions? please help, any suggestions will be helpful. thank you.

True INSANITY will never admit itself.(forgive my misspellings)
by tkhooper on March 18, 2005 02:55 PM
Hi soggy bottom [grin]

Here is a list of plants for moist sunny locations. It would help if you could tell we what zone you are in but I will add the zones here to help. I have tried to get everything from trees to ground cover. And of course if you use a tree you then have moist shady conditions and there are a lot of plants that like that.

Cannas
Maples
Pyrus
Chelone (zone 4)
Cimicifuga (zone 3)
Eupatarium (zone 4)
Helenium (zone 3)
Hibiscus (zone 4)
Ligularia (zone 4)
Labelia (zone 4)
Lysimachia (zone 4)
Phlox (zone 4)
Rheum (zone 5)
Rodgersia (zone 5)
Thalictrum (zone 5)
Tradescantia (zone 5)
Tricyrtis (zone 5)
Trollius (zone 3)
Veronicastrum (zone 3)
Cornus

I found these on the estabrook nurseries website with very nice pictures. You also might think of building a burm to keep your neighbors water off of your land. It's a thought if you like plants that require dryer conditions.

-
 -
by Longy on March 18, 2005 06:33 PM
Alternatively you could install ag drainage and get rid of the excess water. It's underground plastic drain full of tiny holes set in a gravel bed which takes the surface and subsoil moisture away. Cheap to buy but a little more expensive to install.
by Christian on March 22, 2005 01:57 AM
why not just make it a turf area? you can plant a tall turf type fescue and is should be fine unless the water stands for long periods of time. I see your in NC what part?
by ranee_renee23 on March 22, 2005 03:04 AM
thank you all for the great advice. i think i am in zone 7a. that is i'm not sure. i am currently living in the high point area. do you think a weeping willow tree will work? digging a drainage would be the best solution but it's about 3/4 of an acre to the road.so that's a lot-o-mula$$$$

by Longy on March 22, 2005 08:14 AM
How far in yards is it to the road? It might be an option to drain the area rather than having an area you're never happy with. You can DIY and hire equipment or have a contractor do it. Not that difficult but it is hard work.
by ranee_renee23 on March 23, 2005 04:09 AM
It's about 50 yards from the road. There is also a wooden fence and my neighbors property in the way. Of course I could always move the fence until the job is done and move around the property. To tell the truth i just dont have that kind of money or time right now. I am one day of the week gardener. I belive this job requires more than 12 hours. thank you for all your help.

by Dixie Angel on March 23, 2005 03:05 PM
I lived in Troy, NC, for eighteen years before moving here to SC after my mother died. I have been to High Point many times. [grin]

When my fiance' and I bought our new land and home in 2002, we had a similar problem. I planted river birch in a lot of problem areas (8 acres of land) and we are still installing some drain lines. I, also, planted some bald cypress to define the front of the property and they are really enjoying their new home.

Gotta add, too, that when I saw the topic header, I got a good giggle going! Soggy bottoms aren't any fun at all. On land or a baby! [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 23, 2005 05:30 PM
Weeping willows and other types of willows.

Willows

I hope that URL worked. This is the listing at estabrooks. From what it says there I think it would work. I particularly like the weeping sally, but that one with the white leaves is a real stunner. Will you have enough shade for some of these?

-
 -
by ranee_renee23 on March 25, 2005 03:43 AM
Once again i have to thank you! The URL was the best! [kissies] You are brilliant! The shade is not what I'm looking for because we have 2 bradford pear trees that are stunning. So I was simply looking for a wallet friendly solution [Embarrassed] .
It looks like i have found just that! I have fallen head-over-heels for the 'Hakuro Nishiki' [Love] . Which is a shrub so I can run it along the entire length of the fence. Eventually giving us a beautiful screen. So many thanks! At the moment I am trying to convince my hubby that I NEED a digital camera [Wink] .
Soggy Bottoms are dreadful! But someone has to clean up! And that is what I tend to do! yea!

by tkhooper on March 25, 2005 04:26 PM
yep yep yep

I have to agree absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

And there are some places on the web were they aren't to terribly expensive either.

When you get them in i hope you will do pictures. I love pictures.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Softwood Cuttings| Next thread: Soggy dills and cucumber cake »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: