The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

More Leftovers

Willy's Place » Wallpaper of the Day
« Prev thread: More Leftovers| Next thread: More lost Gerberas »
Back to Thread index
by Bill on March 09, 2004 03:48 PM
Purple Tree Aeonium Aeonium arboreum atropurpureum
 -

Purple Passion Vine Gynura aurantiaca
Gynura care
 -

Polka Dot Plant Hypoestes phyllostachya
Hypoestes care
 -
by catlover on March 09, 2004 04:04 PM
I have been looking for the first one...They have several that are big but I would rather not spend the extra money and watch it grow.....just love the deep purple. I have the green kind...same leaves etc....do you know what it is called. Couple days ago I saw the green one like mine only it was in a grouping of about 50 or 60 of them at the end of someones driveway....I had seen them in groups of 3 or 4 but never that many together. Do you happen to know how to propagate the purple one....my guess it would be the same for the green one I have.

I used to have the Polka Dot plant as a kid. [thumb]

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on March 09, 2004 04:07 PM
Those are alll good plants!!
I love the first one,
we only get the common Hens~n~chickens here!
Very nice in deed!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Bill on March 09, 2004 04:18 PM
The green variety of the Purple Tree is simply called Aeonium arboreum (as far as I know...)
Both varieties are easily and quickly propagated by cuttings set into moist sand (I always preferred a sand/vermiculite mixture) Normally, I used side shoots, but if the main rosette is used for your cutting, the plant will produce a multitude of side shoots!

Propagation by cuttings
by catlover on March 09, 2004 04:34 PM
I have the sand /vermiculite/ rootone......it doesn't have side shoots so I would have to decapitate the poor thing [scaredy] to make it branch. Ohhhh that's a scary thought....given Calif. weather what month do you think I should do the surgery???

Was 94 degrees here yesterday....don't know how long this freakish weather is supposed to stay.

[kitty] [scaredy] [scaredy]

-
 -
 -
by Bill on March 09, 2004 04:48 PM
Up here Aeoniums are strictly a house plant... I only grew them in the greenhouses where it was a fairly constant 75 degrees. I think that you might want to wait til the temps are back down around 80 max.

Normally, Aeoniums won't send side shoots until they reach a certain size, but if you use your fingernail to nick the stem in a couple places(slightly) in a couple places, your plant will send out side branches sooner.
Maybe your neighbor (with the large grouping) would allow you to take a small cutting if you ask the nicely! (offer to trade perhaps?)

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: More Leftovers| Next thread: More lost Gerberas »
Back to Thread index