The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pepper plants...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by LandOfOz on May 25, 2006 03:36 AM
I am really starting to get frustrated! [Eek!] [Mad] I've never had this much trouble with peppers before! Well, I had peppers with lots of yellow leaves and they were very small. I guess these are classic symptoms of nitrogen deficiency. So I bought some fish fert, mixed it up. I spread it out between 5 pepper plants, 2 yellow squash, and about 4 pumpkin mounds. My peppers are now a lovely green unfortunately the new leaves are curling and "bubbling." Even some of the older leaves are getting little bubbles in them! What the heck is going on?? I did some googling and found 2 possible answers: either they are nitrogen deficient or they have been over-fertilized with nitro. Obviously, it can't be both!! Here is a good pic of the problem, please ignore the pesky grass growing...
 -

Sarah

sorry if this pic is too big, I resized it with photobucket but it still seems too big...

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by johnCT on May 25, 2006 03:57 AM
Sarah, the pic is too small, lol. Without seeing the pic I have no idea what you mean by "bubbling". Do you mean fish emulsion? I really can't see that you "over-fertilized" with an organic fert. What kind of conditions are they planted in?

John - Zone 6
by LandOfOz on May 25, 2006 04:12 AM
My computer is showing a pic that is about the size of my screen... It is huge. Wonder why you are seeing a small pic. Hmmmm... And, yes, I put some fish emulsion on the plants, 2 Tablespoons (or was it 2 teaspoons, I followed directions on bottle) to a gallon. The peppers are in extremely sandy soil, it is lacking in organic materials--although I did side dress with compost about 2 weeks ago. Pretty crappy soil actually. It gets sun from sunrise (about 6:30) to about 5 or 6 in the evening, then it gets some shade. It's pretty hot here--mid-upper 90's with lows in the 70's. We haven't got much rain recently, so I water every morning (the soil drains very quickly). Thankfully, though, the compost has helped--I'm only watering once a day now. The soil is fairly neutral and slightly alkaline if anything. The leaves almost remind of peach tree curl but on my peppers! Well, here is that pic again, hopefully in a better size!  -

Thanks,
Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Marina on May 25, 2006 04:24 AM
Wow...that pepper is ALOT bigger then mine and mine is already flowering and one of the bell pepper plants is starting to make a pepper.

How big should the plants get? Do they keep growing higher and bushier once they flower and make peppers? Sorry to tag on.... your just look so much lushier and fuller then mine [Smile]
by LandOfOz on May 25, 2006 04:32 AM
Mine were really bushy, I think it was a side effect of some chemical fertilizer I used quite a while ago, but they are very short. This is a pic of my anahiem pepper plant, not my bell. My bell is much smaller, and, yes, all my peppers keep trying to flower. I don't think the fruit has set because of whatever is going on with those leaves. Peppers like it hot, my anahiems have really taken off since the heat set in, and my bell and jalapenos are finally starting to think about growing (they have not grown since I put them out there April 9th). My peppers usually look like trees, a nice straight stalk with a bushy canopy above the ground. I'd say they get around 2 feet tall or so... Be sure to stake or cage them, they like some support!

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Marina on May 25, 2006 04:45 AM
Oh no.... I think i have done something definetly wrong with my peppers then [Frown] They are no where near that high or big and have flowers and stufff already [Frown]

-

-
by peppereater on May 25, 2006 04:59 AM
Those peppers look great. Don't fret. Mine aren't half that big yet.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by LandOfOz on May 25, 2006 05:32 AM
You're peppers are looking awesome! [thumb] keep up the good work!

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -

Active Garden Forum