The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

strawberry

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Strawberries Tonight !| Next thread: Strawberry »
Back to Thread index
by joclyn on May 05, 2006 09:24 AM
i bought a strawberry plant - i've never had one before.

i'm going to put it in a pot and keep it inside (i'd like to actually GET some of the fruit - rather than have the local rabbits and groundhogs get them all [Razz] ).

so, how large a pot and what is type of soil and how often to water???

thx!!
by joclyn on May 07, 2006 06:29 AM
i really need to do something with this plant. can't anyone help?
by weezie13 on May 07, 2006 07:03 AM
I don't have any animals eating the actual plant,
its' when the strawberry is just about ripe that you get marauders..*snails, groundhogs, birds, chippiemonks, etc.*

They do grow well in containers, keep soil moist, but nottttttt water logged...

And keep the runners trimmed, this will not overly help with fruit production when they are busy trying to make new plants... just pinch them at the base of the plant..
After about 3 years, you should let one or two or three runners develope and repot in new pots/containers, as the original plant tends to wean after that amount of time..

And make sure they in a nice fertile soil/dirt..

Hope this helps some...

I am putting in some new strawberry beds this year, if I can get around to it, just squares made out of cement blocks and soil...so they will be raised off of the ground, so those creatures can't get at them..
if I can get to it, I will certainly add some pictures...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Deborah L. on May 07, 2006 09:19 AM
ONE STRAWBERRY PLANT IN AN 8 INCH POT WILL BE FINE.
WHEN THE RUNNERS DEVELOP, PUT THE TIP ON TOP OF A POT NEXT TO THE MOTHER PLANT, BUT LEAVE THE RUNNER ATTACHED UNTIL IT ROOTS.
THE TIP MUST BE PLANTED IN THE SOIL OF THE POT YOU PLACE IN THE RUNNER IN.
JUST TUG GENTLY IN A FEW WEEKS AND IF THERE'S RESISTANCE, THE RUNNER HAS ROOTED AND YOU CAN CUT IT OFF FROM THE MOTHER. CUT NEAR THE BASE OF THE MOTHER, AND DISCARD THE CUT PIECE. CUT THE RUNNER ALSO AT THE TIP NEAR THE BASE OF THE NEW LITTLE PLANT.
I HAVE HEARD AND READ THAT QUINALT STRAWBERRIES WILL SET FRUIT ON THE UNPLANTED RUNNER, AND THIS VARIETY DOESN'T NEED TO BE CUT OFF AND ROOTED UNLESS YOU WANT TO.

-
 -
by Firstyeargardener2006 on May 07, 2006 02:01 PM
Deborah,
How long does it take for a everbearing strawberry to get it's first flower?
Thank you, Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by JerseyHeidi on May 24, 2006 07:01 AM
Nicky,
I'm growing everbearing for the first time this year and mine started flowering about 2 weeks after I transplanted them.
Heidi
by Patty S on May 24, 2006 07:49 AM
Heidi, I just received a PM from you, & if you don't mind, I will answer your questions here, as I think they might be things that other people wonder about, too.

quote:
1. How do I know when to stop picking the flowers off (I'm in zone 6)?
You know, I always wonder the same thing! [Big Grin] I know that in a full strawberry area like I have here, it's impossible to keep track of which plants you've taken the flowers off of! If your weather has settled down to the point where you've noticed bees & other pollen helpers flying around, stop picking!

quote:
2. I see something nibbled on some of the leaves...any suggestions?
Can you see what it is that's doing the nibbling? Some bugs don't respond to the same chaser-awayers or killers that others do, so it's helpful to know what they are. (Be sure to look under the leaves.)

I would recommend starting out with real soapy dish water, but don't "water the plants" with it... keep it "topical" & just spray the leaves I use a garden sprayer or a spray bottle, depending on how bad the infestation is. (I have a HUGE problem with Spittle bugs here.) From the dish water, if that doesn't work, I move on to other non-chemical applications, & as a last resort I use Sevin. The label says that it's safe for food plants within a certain period of time before eating, but when I do use it, I only do it early in the growing season, before the fruit is forming. (Fortunately, the only time my Spittle bugs are out is the first few weeks of Spring, when the Strawberry blossoms are first starting.)

quote:
3. Have you ever tried to "redirect" your runners to contain the plants? Since I have them in my veg garden I don't want them to go all over the place.
Deborah did an excellent job of answering that on her post (above) & the only thing I can add to that is that I've taken mature crowns off the runners (when the new plants actually look like a Strawberry plant & have some "meat" to the crown) & have set them on (very wet) soil, where they took root in just a very few days. Remember, DON'T bury the crown. You can shove it down into the dirt a bit, bit it must stay 99% above the soil line.

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on May 24, 2006 11:36 AM
Pinch off blooms on everbearing until June (some say late june) This helps build a stronger bigger plant which will yeild more, bigger, and better fruitcome Summer, and early fall-until frost. Strawberrys will form without pollination- the seeds in the berries are the result of pollination, not the fruit. Dont plant your strawberrys too deep or too high, the crown should be level with the soil. A good sterile potting soil mix is ideal. I have my strawberrys growing in planter boxes (June bearers- Maxims) and my everbearings (Tristars) in a 25 plant cocoa fiber tower. Both are doing well!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Strawberries Tonight !| Next thread: Strawberry »
Back to Thread index