The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomato problems!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tomato problem solver| Next thread: tomato question »
Back to Thread index
by highland3 on April 28, 2006 09:35 AM
Hi there! Well, luckily, I found this board while search for an answer to a problem my tomatoes have had for the past 2 years.

They start off well. I've planted both from seed and from plants. The plants grow well, flower well... then when the tomatoes come out, they are all weird shapes. Sometimes look like two tomatoes are joined together, sometimes have big cracks in them (but the cracks kind of grow into the fruit), they sometimes kinda look like... well... sorry for the visual... but 'bums'. LOL [Embarrassed]

Anyway... I SOOOO want to avoid this problem this year... but don't know what is causing it. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

Chris

Tending life... one weed at a time!
by ChristinaC on April 28, 2006 09:50 AM
by Sorellina on April 28, 2006 10:12 AM
Ciao Chris,

Here's another article worth reading. It's from Organic Gardening Magazine and it describes what catfacing is and why it occurs sometimes. Don't worry about it, it's just cosmetic. You'll get funny-looking YUMMY tomatoes. If you'd prefer gorgeous, cardboard-tasting tomatoes, just go to the store ;o)

http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-2-28-1121,00.html

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by Deborah L. on April 28, 2006 11:09 AM
Does anyone know why my tomato plants always do well, grow well, bloom well, bear well, but when the tomatoes are large but still green, the plants begin to turn yellow and blackish areas appear under the leaves?
This happens every year no matter what. I live only 3 miles from the beach, could it be the afternoon fog that rolls in sometimes? Or the humidity?
Also, what does tobacco mosaic actually look like?
I wondered if someone os smoking nearby and it blows onto my plants? Maybe this yellowing is the virus?
I'd appreciate any input from anyone !

Deborah [dunno]

-
 -
by highland3 on April 28, 2006 12:30 PM
Thanks... I do think the problem may be catfacing. I've never heard of it! It discribes my tomatoes... but the picture is like one of my best tomatoes! I wouldn't complain if that was as bad as it got but unfortunately, most of them are so damaged by the problem we are unable to eat much of anything off them. I'm pretty sure my watering is even... perhaps it's cool(ish) temps? I wish my garden was maybe a bit sunnier. It's in full sun for the mid afternoon, but early morning and late afternoon it gets shade.

Tending life... one weed at a time!
by dodge on April 28, 2006 12:49 PM
Weird shaped tomatoes are sometimes caused by the Variety they are.. Some tomatoes are like that nauturally.....

try to get smooth skin ones.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by johnCT on April 29, 2006 12:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dodge:
Weird shaped tomatoes are sometimes caused by the Variety they are.. Some tomatoes are like that naturally.....
That's what I was gonna say. What varieties are you planting?

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tomato problem solver| Next thread: tomato question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: