The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

tomato troubles

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tomato tips| Next thread: Tomato Troubleshooting Chart »
Back to Thread index
by eClaire on July 27, 2006 04:13 AM
Well, after all the rain and mildew and bug issues over the past month, I was still managing to get a few tomatoes out of my plants. They are now bare and not producing any blooms, and look rather pathetic. They have been this way for the last 2 weeks.
Any suggestions? I have three plants - big boy, early girl, and one other i can't remember off the top of my head (shame on me!). They are planted in ammended soil(store bought) and I use an organic fish based fertilizer every few weeks.
Thanks!

Claire
by Woodland Garden on July 27, 2006 05:07 AM
Are the tomatoes in raised beds or hills? It's good to do that so that during wet times they don't get wet feet.

What kind of bugs are on them? The only tomato bug I ever get bothered with is the tomato hornworm.
by johnCT on July 27, 2006 05:14 AM
Have they been pruned? Is the weather hot? How much sun do they get?

John - Zone 6
by eClaire on July 27, 2006 08:34 AM
They are in raised planting beds - but only raised about 6-8 inches off the ground. I have had aphids and these little white things that look like a small bug or mildew of some kind.

John- I did prune 2 of the plants, not heavily, though, just got rid of dead/dying branches from the main stem.

I wil post a picture later today

Claire
by comfrey on July 27, 2006 08:49 AM
I have one that looks rather bad that is growing in a flower bed...It was still alive so I just left it and now it has a few new leaves and a couple of blooms...Bugs were not an issue on mine, I think I just waited almost to long to plant it. As long as it has some green on them they proable will come back and produce more fruit, but will be very slow in doing so. I wouldn't give up yet.

-
 -
by johnCT on July 27, 2006 08:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by eClaire:
and these little white things that look like a small bug or mildew of some kind.
That's troubling. If they are thrips, they could have caused spotted wilt virus. Take a picture of the plants and post it.

John - Zone 6
by eClaire on July 28, 2006 01:53 PM
my plants looked dead today, so I pulled them up and and planted my potted herbs in the raised bed instead. They were outgrowing their containers and needed a new home anyways [Smile]

thanks for your help though.....

Claire
by eClaire on July 28, 2006 01:55 PM
i forgot....
john - and i checked online and i dont think they were thrips, and the plants didnt show any signs of spotted wilt virus - thank goodness!

Claire
by johnCT on July 28, 2006 02:03 PM
Sorry to hear you had to pull the plants Claire. Hope the herbs do better for you.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tomato tips| Next thread: Tomato Troubleshooting Chart »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: