The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I am completely Clueless!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by NeverGardened on April 21, 2005 11:00 AM
I have been asked by my work to do our garden there. The 2 raised planters are on the left and right side at the front of the building. If anyone has any expertise or helpful hints for a novice gardener, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share. Thanks so much all!! [kitty]
by NeverGardened on April 21, 2005 11:07 AM
And since I am a new member....to introduce myself, I'm Kat...I'm not much of a gardener but I love a beautiful garden so I need to learn how to start and maintain one.

I live in Canada where it gets very cold, so we only get about 4 months of growing season (and I"m being generous [Wink] )

I came across this site as I've been asked to do the planters for work and need to do a little research on the subject. Find out how I would go about ripping out the previous plants and start over from scratch, what kind of plants are easy to tend to, and something that would look classy and business like, really drawing the eye of passer-byers [Smile]

Thanks to anyone that may be able to help me with my research, and thank you for having the site open to all. What would I do without the internet??
by tkhooper on April 21, 2005 11:17 AM
Hi welcome,

If you could answer some questions it would help get you more specific help.

1) What USDA Growing Zone are you in?

2) Are the beds in the sun most of the day or are they shaded most of the day?

3) If it is half sun and half shade is it morning sun or afternoon sun?

4) Do the beds have a sprinkler system in them or do they depend on rain for their water?

5) What is the Ph of the soil.

6) Do you want to plant annuals? (plants that die every year) or perennials? (plants that last for several to many years?

7) Would you be willing to dig bulbs up after they had finished blooming if they can't overwinter in your location?

8) What size planters/raised beds?

I know it sounds like a lot but hang in there it's not as hard as I first thought. At the top of the page is a link "USDA Zones" That will give you the answer to one of the questions. Ph can be discovered by buying an inexpensive test kit at your local garden center. Once you have the answers to these questions you can choose plants that have the best chance of succeeding in your environment with the least amount of care.

-
 -
by NeverGardened on April 21, 2005 11:25 AM
Okay....

1. I'd be about zone 3B
2. The beds are in the sun most of the day
3. As soon as the sun comes up at 6:30, or earlier the closer summer gets (About a month away, for really sunny summer), the plants get light until the sun goes down.
4. They do have a sprinkler system in the planter.
5. ?? I'll find that out soon though. And is it bad to remove most of the soil and just start with bagged soil?
6. Either.
7. I would like the lowest maintenance possible.

Thanks for responding so quickly [Embarrassed]
by Phloxy Lady on April 22, 2005 02:45 AM
For a good low maintenance garden, try to find plants native to your area.

For example, native plants in my garden (London, ON) would be various coneflowers, iris, and dogwood, if i'm not mistaken.

I suggest you "Google": native plants, Edmonton.

Personnally, I would do a mix of evergreens, flowering shrubs, perennials and spring bulbs.

Hope this helps!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: