The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

i am getting good at making

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by adirondack on February 21, 2005 02:24 AM
jerky.
the house smells so good as the aroma drifts from the dehydrator..
yummy.

-
Take time to enjoy life,especially the natural/simple things.
We only have one life to live,we weren't put here to stress out.
by weezie13 on February 21, 2005 03:31 PM
Adirondack~Um you don't happen to have
a recipe for that great smell in your house???

And do you use a dehydrator or the regular oven??

And how do you get your meat slices sliced???

I have always wanted to make my own,
but never did.....

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Winter Rosebudd on February 22, 2005 01:36 AM
[wayey] Hi! Jerky freak here!!! [Big Grin]

Heres how I do mine...I bought a cheap 20 dollar dehydrator from Walmart. It has 3 trays....Love it!

I usually get brisket...stick it in the freezer so its about 1/2 frozen. Then with a really sharp knife, slice it 1/8". It will thaw quick. Toss it in a bowl with some soy sauce. Then lay the slices on the dehydrator tray and shake on some black pepper. It usually takes about 5 hours.

My recipe is pretty basic...but its SO YUMMY! I use the liquid aminos from the health food store (thats my soy sauce, tastes just like it) and its healthier.

I'd love some new jerky recipes!

-
by 4Ruddy on February 24, 2005 08:34 PM
Everyone around here lives for Deer camp...so all of the jerky I make is from deer meat and it is wonderful! You can do it in the oven or the dehydrator. We eat quite a bit of deer meat. A lot of people say they don't like it, but if you know how to cook it yu really can't tell a lot of difference. It is a much more lean meat than beef. But, just wanted to add that it makes a wonderful jerky!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Elfinone on February 25, 2005 09:22 PM
I love deer meat, better than beef actaully. I do not have a good jerky receipe, so I have yet to try making that. But I do love venison.
[Wink]
Elfinone
by The Accidental Farme on February 26, 2005 12:38 AM
My wife has me spoiled. I grew up as a country boy and stayed that way for 54 years.We have been hunting deer with the same 5 guys for a good number of years, and we harvest enough venison for our families. I don't care much about trophy bucks, even though I have taken a few over the years.What is important to me is how the deer is handled imediately after the harvest. Proper field dressing, get it home, hung, and skinned as quick as possible.
The temperature decides how long it hangs.I quarter the deer in my shop, including sawing the spine. Then I bring the quarters to my wife and she does 90% of the butchering, and does a very professional job of it.The bride decides what cuts she wants and I do the vacuum sealing. Over the year we have developed a great way of doing the ribs instead of trying to strip them.I do a short rib cut, chime the backbone and then chink it.When it come time to use them we marinade them in large zip-lock bags for a day or two. Then I slow cook them in my smoker cooker with fruit wood. For ease of eating I then cut every rib and put them on the table. I am making myself hungry!
by Winter Rosebudd on February 26, 2005 02:11 AM
I would kill for some deer meat. We never get game in Los Angeles. Do you guys sell it? Can it be shipped?

I really love game...all the game I've had, that is. I made a killer Venison stew when I visited my sister in Oregon.

If you ever want to sell any, please put me on your list!

-
by Elfinone on February 26, 2005 04:38 AM
My husband goes first season in So Illinois. He is only allowed 2, one of each. thats it. I get it when it comes back from the butcher, he does an excellent job of cuttin it.
He is very picky about his deer, he does all the propers for field dressing and has retained a cooler in case the temps are to warm. Makes double sure he maintains the temps for the ride back home.
thinkin tomorrow to do some vension lasagna. That should be very good.
[Wink]
Elfinone
by Elfinone on February 26, 2005 04:40 AM
Winter, I don't know of a place that would ship it, but I am sure there are some. I will look see and should I come up with something I will let you know.
[Wink]
Elfinone
by Elfinone on February 28, 2005 04:38 PM
Winter I have fouhnd 2 places that you can order venison from if you like.
www.towline-farm.com
www.maincom.com

Hope it helps.
[Wink]
Elfinone
by Winter Rosebudd on February 28, 2005 08:29 PM
Oh Thanks! I'm checking these now!

-
by tkhooper on March 17, 2005 08:22 PM
Jerky marinade:

In a shallow pan add 6 oz.soy sauce, 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce, 2 Tablespoons sugar, & a drop or two of liquid smoke ( be careful it is really strong) marinade in refrigerator 24 hours.

I have also deleted the liquid smoke and used different flavored marmalades just for something different but I reall like the old fashion flavor I get from the original recipe.

good luck.

-
 -
by adirondack on March 19, 2005 02:23 AM
sorry it took me so long to reply-health issues sometimes get in the way of my real life...
i usually soak mt meats in worchestershire sauce ,and a dry rub you can buy pre-mixed, i add coarse ground pepper to it.
any good marinade makes a good jerky....
i slice my own..fingers get real fearful...
and use a dehydrator with a built in fan/thermostat,set on highest 140 degrees,i believe....done when texture of leather.
hope this helps... [Wink]

-
Take time to enjoy life,especially the natural/simple things.
We only have one life to live,we weren't put here to stress out.
by Sue Z on March 24, 2005 01:23 AM
Can anyone tell me how to make the 'soft' jerky?

While on vacation last year we stopped at a party store and purchased a bag of teriyaki 'soft' beef jerky and it was to die for. YUM! [thumb]

Haven't found it in any of the store's, since though. [Frown]

Thanx,

Sue Z
[wayey]

-
"WHEN IN DOUBT ... DON'T"
by Sue Z on March 24, 2005 01:26 AM
Winter, will you please post your recipe for that 'killer venison stew'? [Cool]

Thank you,
Sue Z
[wayey]

-
"WHEN IN DOUBT ... DON'T"
by 4Ruddy on March 26, 2005 07:56 AM
We always have Deer stew around Thanksgiving but we also really love cook it in bar-b-que sauce in the crock pot...just melts in your mouth!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: