The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I also have a dying plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: hyssop, sratification| Next thread: I am completely Clueless! »
Back to Thread index
by talula21 on December 07, 2004 03:04 AM
I have a most beloved tradescantia zebris (wandering jew) but it is in a very bad way right now. It started off very lush and beautiful but now it has been reduced to one single vine that is looking a little droopy. I got the plant this summer and accidently left it in direct sunlight. Some of the leaves burnt so I trimmed it back and it slowly lost every leaf and did not regrow. I lost hope for it and put it aside. However, it began to regrow one vine and so I took up care for it again. I thought I was overwatering it...I backed off but now it is again beginning to die. Should I replant it into a different pot? More diffused sunlight? Any adivce is appreciated. Thanks....
by Amy R. on December 07, 2004 04:03 AM
hi there, please be forewarned that i am a total novice, so any advice should be taken with a grain of salt. [Embarrassed] wandering jews are super easy to propagate from cuttings, so if all is lost, you could just pinch of the one remaining vine and go from there. i don't use rooting hormone, i just place it in water(out of direct sunlight), and let her go. i found a big piece that somehow ended up in a cyclamen that i bought [dunno] ,i cut it up in a few pieces, and they have all rooted. anyway, hope it helps, and good luck.
by Cricket on December 07, 2004 04:40 AM
I agree with Amy....Just root cuttings in water. Wandering jews are fast growing, so 1 or 2 cuttings can quickly fill a pot if you keep pruning them (they grow spindly quickly too! [Eek!] ) and rooting what you have pruned.

They enjoy bright light (brings out the beautiful reds/purples) but be careful not to expose them to direct sunlight as these plants "fry" easily.

Wandering jews need quite a bit of water, but let the soil dry out some between waterings, then give them a good soaking until the water runs through the drainage holes.

Good luck in reviving your plant and keep us posted with its progress! [critic]
by Shani on December 07, 2004 11:01 AM
i tried to do the cuttings and get more wandering jews it worked great for the first few months then they all up and died on me, even the original, i keep doing the same as i had been they just didn't like me i guess

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by Amy R. on December 07, 2004 05:42 PM
Shani, how long did you leave the cuttings in water? i'm not sure if this applies to wandering jews, but i have heard if you let plants root in water too long, they become accustomed to that enviornment, and can't adapt to the soil conditions as well. i just let mine get a few good roots(like after a week), pop them in the soil, and monitor their water needs closely.
by Cliloute on December 07, 2004 07:40 PM
I agree with amy. When the plants stay too long in water, they produce special water adapted roots so their chances to survive in the compost are thin.

Claire
by Shani on December 07, 2004 08:22 PM
They were only in water a fewdays, They were growing great for about 2 months then they all started to die off. It confused me pretty good.

But leaving a plant ing water for too long then planting it explains what happened to my ivy, it was a cutting from a friends place who had forgotten about it and it had lots of roots when i planted it

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by suzydaze on December 08, 2004 03:02 PM
I just poke all mine on into the dirt, if I start with water I'll forget to move it, so I just start with dirt. And water regular.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: hyssop, sratification| Next thread: I am completely Clueless! »
Back to Thread index