The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Where can I get low cost indoor plants ?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Novice2005 on February 03, 2005 08:06 PM
I've searched nurserys and stores near me but indoor plants seem very expensive. Where online or in Michigan can I find indoor plants that are cheap?
by Amy R. on February 03, 2005 08:45 PM
Hi there,
Lowe's and Home Depot has little 4-inch indoor plants for about a buck fifty. Sometimes they have great deals in their clearance section and you can get decent plants for 1/2 off. I usually check back every two weeks or so, as trolling for plant deals is my obsession, LOL. Hope this helps!
by obywan59 on February 03, 2005 08:46 PM
Are there going to be any spring garden shows in your area? Last year I went the Home and Garden Show in Charlotte NC and picked up a few plants. I thought they were very reasonable. This year I'm going to the Maymont Flower and Garden Show in Richmond (3 weeks and counting). I'm sure I'll find something more to buy there. [Roll Eyes]

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tamara on February 03, 2005 11:50 PM
Good old Wal-Mart. Indoor plants are usually around two dollars for a 4 inch pot. Also ask friends for slips off of their plants.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Carly on February 04, 2005 07:44 AM
Also ask people for clippings and deadheads - you can start them from seed right now.

Church rummage sales are good - some people put them on garage sales.

Corner groceterias sometimes have good plants. It's best to ask questions though - see if you can feel the seller out - find out just how much they know about what they're selling.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Novice2005 on February 04, 2005 06:22 PM
Thanks for the great ideas. I will check em out this weekend.
by Carly on February 05, 2005 08:57 AM
If there are gardening events around your place try to visit them - you'll meet other gardeners (indoor/outdoor) that live in your area, and you can get a trade going - or maybe even a gift.

Many people give their plants away when they end up with too many. Like my kalanchoe - it grows a lot and I made up little starter pots for Christmas presents to the tenants in our building - they loved them and it makes me feel good when they report the wee plants have flowered.

(Which they will, by the way - kalanchoe doesn't care what season it is - if it feels like making flower, it makes flowers)

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: