The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mushrooms

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Mushrooms| Next thread: Mushrooms and Stringy things »
Back to Thread index
by BG on September 23, 2004 10:46 AM
I also have a half ring of mushrooms which keep coming back.

We are, here in Denmark, experiencing some consistent and heavy rain which keeps the lawn wet.

Any ideas?????
by weezie13 on September 23, 2004 04:24 PM
Hi BG,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us!!!!

Have you had a tree cut down in that area?
Or was there trees there long ago, before you moved there or some kind of tree/forrest debris??

Usually that's a sign of decomposing trees/wood.
And compounded with the extra rain, up sprout the mushrooms, it's quite a common experience....

I have that here in my front yard, had a huge maple cut down by the side of the road by the town, they chopped up or put a stump grinder to the stump and left the wood chips where they lay..
Now years later I'm still getting mushrooms...
And we have a 200ft *or so, I'm a bad judge of distance* of huge pine trees, and under the row all the way to the back we get mushrooms under them..

And never eat any mushroom that you don't know what kind they are....Unless some one who is VERY EXPERIENCED IN KNOWING WHICH ONE'S ARE WHICH!!!!

Also, if you do a FORUM SEARCH and type in MUSHROOMS, you'll come up with a few posts from some previous questions on mushrooms too!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Weezie

How's your weather out where you live???
We are having some AWESOME fall weather where I am!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by papito on September 24, 2004 01:42 AM
Hello BG, Welcome to The Gardener's Forum.

Mushrooms comes up after prolonged periods of wet weather. This often indicates the underground presence of decaying organic matter, such as construction debris or old tree roots and stumps, as Weezie pointed out in her post.

Most mushrooms cause no damage to the lawn. If they grow in circles of dark green grass, as you have indicated in your post, [they are called fairy rings], they may injure the grass by making it impervious to water.

There is no effective chemical control for mushrooms. However, if you feel they are unsightly and poisonous, remove them with a rake or lawn mower. See also Weezie's warning about mushrooms.

ref. Ortho book, All About Lawn

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Mushrooms| Next thread: Mushrooms and Stringy things »
Back to Thread index