The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

mushrooms

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: mushroom infestation| Next thread: Mushrooms »
Back to Thread index
by brokentreasures on March 26, 2006 10:11 PM
in july i start getting large mushrooms on my lawn. does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of them without chemicals? i won't use anything on the lawn because i don't want to jeopardize the health of any of the wildlife in my area. i have read that lime does the job, but then there are others who say that baking soda is preferable. HELP!!

by the way, i am new - i live in the suburbs of philadelphia.

paula
by Longy on March 27, 2006 12:46 AM
These fungi live on decaying organic matter, so are probably prevalent because of the grass clippings which are deposited each time you mow. Can you catch the clippings and use them elsewhere or is that what you already do?
I imagine lime may help to break the matter down faster , thus creating a less hospitable environment for the mushrooms.
Maybe you should just stick a few gnomes around the lawn at that time of the year and make it a feature. A pathway through a field of long grass and mushrooms sounds quite attractive to me.

-
The secret is the soil.
by weezie13 on March 27, 2006 12:47 AM
I'm not firmilar with a way to get rid of them
but they are just basically some type of wood product decomposing, usually buried or somewhere's near the surface...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by patches1414 on March 27, 2006 01:23 AM
When I had them the nursery told me the only way to eliminate them entirely was to dig up the decaying matter or wait for it to decay on it's own. In this case, it was a buried tree stump and removing it seemed to big a task, so I just let nature take it's course. The next year, I added some top soil and compost to level out the spot (since the ground settled due the decomposition) and did the same the following year. After that the problem disappeared. [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by johnCT on March 27, 2006 08:47 PM
It just means you have plenty of organic material in your soil. Just pick them and throw them in the compost pile.

John - Zone 6
by ccgardengal on March 29, 2006 05:20 AM
I usually go through once a day & pick them with the pooper scooper while I'm cleaning up after my dogs. I'd leave em alone, but I dont want my dogs munching on them. =-)

Heidi
My Garden Journal
by The Plant Doc on April 01, 2006 09:40 AM
Sorry, but there is nothing on the market that will get rid of them or keep them from appearing. I know a lot of folks take out their nine iron and practice their golf swing with them. [Wink]

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: mushroom infestation| Next thread: Mushrooms »
Back to Thread index