The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

septic tank

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: September!!!| Next thread: Serious Warning about Burning Brush »
Back to Thread index
by abcdunn on January 26, 2006 03:00 AM
I'm planning on moving to a new house with a heavily shaded yard. The only part of the yard that gets sun is over the septic tank. Is there any problem growing vegetables over the tank? I am not sure if it is a leach field or a self-contained tank. It is about 100 feet from a lake, though, so I assume it is contained. Any advice would be helpful.
by tkhooper on January 26, 2006 03:04 AM
Raised beds on wheels? Your herbs would probably be fine but I'm not so sure about veggies. But someone will be along shortly to help you out. Good luck with your new place.

-
 -
by abcdunn on January 26, 2006 03:16 AM
Wow, that was a fast response. What do you mean by 'on wheels'? The entire area is elevated about six feet above the surrounding area. Actually, the entire street is designed like that. Each house has a little hill in front of it, containing the septic system. None of the neighbors have vegetable gardens, which is a little concerning to me.
by tkhooper on January 27, 2006 12:50 AM
kind of like taking small wheels and putting them on the bottom of planters and using them for your veggies. It would just make them easier to move encase something happened to your septic tank. Knock on wood that nothing does. I was just thinking about those hard rubber wheels that you can buy and then something like a pond liner put inside a wooden box that the wheels are attached to and then plant inside that. That way there are no worries. It's a crazy thought I'm sure. I get a little wierd from time to time.

-
 -
by tamara on January 27, 2006 12:59 AM
Sorry abcdunn, no veggies over your septic (toxic). Don't place trees or bushes there either. The roots can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage.

I just put a small white fence over mine and planted some flowers in front of it. Wear gloves and wash your hands well because the soil is usually contaminated.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by abcdunn on January 30, 2006 10:55 PM
Thanks folks, I have some raised bed boxes I'm bringing from the old place; I guess I'll look into lining them...or rethinking moving into this place. Thanks a lot for the advice.
by weezie13 on January 30, 2006 11:01 PM
The thought that popped into my head was
what if you ever had to dig up the tank for
whatever reason might be that they fail???

I'd do containers, you can move...

Get maybe some of those garbage can's on wheels..
~poke a hole in close to the bottom so water doesn't fill up but would give you and inch or two of water storage..
~fill with some lighter rocks maybe so it's not so heavy to move, mix in some of the packing peanuts for space in between???
~Then fill with your topsoil and compost..
And plant things like Tomatoes, peppers, corn??
What ever you like..

For smaller crops like lettuce, I use plastic window boxes that I get at Wally~World of somewhere's for like $5~6...
and I planted Swiss Chard, Black Seeded Simpson lettuce..

All sorts of ideas..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Greenthumb newbee on February 26, 2006 04:07 AM
Tamara,

I think It has ALOT to do with how your septic system is and how your land is.

I Have been growing my gardem ontop of a septic system for over 2 years with Mature Walnut trees not to far away. Mine also has leech lines and a main drain that runs off waste. I`ve had no such problems also there is a working well nearby (aprox 100 feet away).

I have my soil tested and I DO NOT DUMP cleaners or chemicals in it other then the LIE thats designed for septic systems.

Lots of variables on that. I also had my water tested and other then it being VERY HARD water it`s safe to drink. My house is on a hill overlooking the Mississippi River.
by Amigatec on February 26, 2006 05:20 AM
Another thought, and this is something I have been kicking around.

I have an old "SuperSingle" waterbed in my garage, the frame and the liner would make an excellent raised container garden.

The side are 2X8's and the bottom is 3/4 plywood, and with the base, it stands about 3' high. If it will hold a couple hundred gallons of water and a fat man like me. I think it will hold up some dirt and flowers. I would have to attach some kind of drain to the side of the bed.

Just a thought.

Note: I am going to crosspost this in Gardening with Disabilities.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Longy on February 27, 2006 04:11 AM
If the water from the septic tank is not comimg out into the above mound, i don't see why it would be toxic there???? I assume the soil on top of the tank is what was removed from the ground when the hole was dug. If the outfall area is away from this then i reckon a vegie bed would be fine. No trees though. If you need to dig it up, no big deal. A machine just puts the soil to one side, does the deed and puts it back later. So you may lose that particular crop.

-
The secret is the soil.
by obywan59 on February 27, 2006 04:44 AM
Here's some information on planting on or around septic fields from Virginia Tech.

Planting on your septic drain field

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tamara on February 27, 2006 08:57 AM
Don't take a chance, do not plant vegetables over your septic. A well working septic can not be working well the next day, you have no way of knowing until someone is sick.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
by Amigatec on February 27, 2006 09:32 AM
I agree I don't think it is a good thing, if I would plant anything over/around the tank or lines it would flowers or other non-eatables.

My parents had one at one time, and the grass over the lateral lines was tall and thick. We moved your garden, way out in back away from the lines.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Greenthumb newbee on February 27, 2006 10:52 AM
To all.

Maybe your right But all I know is last year when I dug I ran into clay after 3 feet so I assume it`s by my garden. I did find out that it`s around the back ward somewhere although There is no vent like most newer ones have.

The house and septic system was put in in 1975 but it was the best you caould get lifetime no maintence BIG system with leece lines so I was told.

Anyway it`s no biggee to me to move it to another location being I have an acre of land to put it on. Typically My garden is about 60-100 feet square. BTW.... got a mole infestation and there not dieing. Whats the best way to get rid of. I can see the network of tunnels all over.
by obywan59 on February 27, 2006 03:05 PM
Try dowsing for it. Take a couple of hangers and straighten out the wires till they are in the shape of a capital "L". Hold one in each hand (loosely) about shoulder width apart with the short arm down and the long arm pointing ahead and resting on your hands.

Walk over the area you think your septic field is. When you cross a line, the long arms will move inward and cross, then will uncross again when you pass beyond the line. Most septic fields have about four lines spaced equally apart, but the number can vary.

This doesn't work for everyone. I used it to find a location for my well when I was building my house. The well digger agreed with my location, only he used a forked branch from a tree.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tamara on February 27, 2006 08:34 PM
Terry, your right it does not work for everyone. 10 years ago we had a well dug here and the well digger assured me that the 'divining rods' never fail. Ya right, my well is 250 feet deep. I was so pissed off nobody knows.

Here we have salt veins in the ground, anything over 150 feet and you usually hit it. We did, I have table salt in my water. And the thing is that they guarantee water not good water. We were forced to pay $4500 for a well that we are not supposed to drink from.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
by Greenthumb newbee on March 07, 2006 03:41 PM
Tamara

Did you have your water tested??? Although I don`t have the salt water problem I DO have Very hard water with high calcium content. I found out that with a whole house water filtration system and a water softner I have great tasting water. system was about $3500. If we have the Technology to extract fresh water from sea water I`m sure there is a solution.

Check it out, You never know untill you do.
by tkhooper on March 07, 2006 09:55 PM
Any evaporation type system will take the salt out of the water.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: September!!!| Next thread: Serious Warning about Burning Brush »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: