The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Nematodes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Bluebonnet on March 04, 2004 07:59 PM
Our backyard became a mass of tunnels last year (moles I suspect) and we would like to take action early this year to eliminate the grubs we suspect they are feeding on. We hear that nematodes are a good solution but had a couple questions.

[dunno] First, does anyone have experience with them?

[dunno] Second, how warm does it need to be before we release them?

[dunno] Third, we have located a website that seems reputable and with decent prices (growquest.com). Has anyone dealt with these folks or is there another recommended source?

Thanks
by Jiffymouse on March 04, 2004 05:12 PM
bluebonnet, i have no clue about any of your questions, but will be glad when the answer is posted. however, i have heard good things about the website gardensalive. hope someone answers you soon!
by papito on March 10, 2004 05:04 PM
See if this will help.

Paul James, Gardening by the yard.

Grub Control

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Jillie on March 11, 2004 05:07 AM
Bluebonnet....
We buy ladybugs, mantises and nematodes from the garden center...

I blindly trusted that we GOT nematodes....
You can't see 'em.....They're packed in mulchie-stuff, and the carton says there's something like a zillion of 'em in there.....

We "released" them in the garden.. I can't tell you if they're beneficial or not...It's like they're the "phantom" garden helper.... [dunno]

I'm NO help....sorry... [kissies]

-
 -
by Buglady on March 21, 2004 05:53 AM
I have worked with nematodes for years. First of all were are you in the US? This makes a difference in what nematode species you get. Not all nematodes species are the same. Whom ever you buy them from should be able to tell you what species your getting. Dont let them tell you its a secret... that means they may not know.

I always get my nematodes directly from the nematode producer (never from reseller)

I did a trail a few years back comparing products and i found that the product from www.nematodary.com was the best. That is who I always buy from.

One thing though you missed your application window for optimal grub control. Insecticide or nematodes should be applied in the fall, usually around Sept. You can catch another small window in the spring but you need to make sure grubs are near soil surface and not down in the soil pupating. Again this will vary with your location.

Here is a web page from my website that might help you out.
http://www.bugladyconsulting.com/Nematodes.htm

Also on this page i have some articles I have written on nematode
http://www.bugladyconsulting.com/Publications.htm

If you have more questions let me know!!

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: