The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peach Tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Peach Tree| Next thread: peach tree curl fungus »
Back to Thread index
by Meg on September 23, 2004 04:11 PM
I have a peach tree that I got from ADF early this spring. It's doing amazingly well, or it was. I took a few new pics to see if anyone can tell me what is going on here?

Rusty looking w/holes-
 -

New leaves curling a bit
 -

And here is a picture of the entire tree-
 -

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by catlover on September 23, 2004 05:03 PM
Meg...I am not saying this is your problem because I haven't a clue but be on the lookout for peach leaf curl. The leaves will start turning bright colors and the leaves curl up then they drop off ...it does spread....there is a spray for it but it has to be used twice a year and at certain times. Google peachleaf curl and see if it could be beginning stages. Also looks like you have some critter munchin a bit.
[kitty] [dunno]

-
 -
 -
by papito on September 23, 2004 05:22 PM
Please see also link below in addition to the Peach Curl info posted by Catlover.

Peach Spot

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Meg on September 23, 2004 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I actually had heard of peach leaf curl, and looked it up already on here. I am not completely sure that's what it is, as mine doesn't look as bad as the pics I saw. Just 2 leaves really look funny.. but it just could be early? Hmmm. Also, thanks for the info on the spots papito. I guess I'll try some fertilizer first. (I never used any before, on anything.. just my clay dirt mixed with some topsoil, and a bit of mulch and water.)

I don't suspect this tree will be growing any fruit for a few years yet. It's just a little thing yet. But, I don't want it to die either.

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Arctostaphylos on September 23, 2004 09:37 PM
It sure looks like Peach Leaf Curl to me. It is caused by the fungus Taphrina deformans and is usually occurs when spring is warm and wet. It has been in the US for over 100 years. Management is to use dormant spray (either sulfur or copper) prior to bud break (generally 3 applications). Infected leaves should not be composted as the fungi will overwinter. I would NOT reccomend fertilizing as this will just make the tree flush new growth that it will not be able to defend. The current thinking in arboriculture is that trees should not be fertilized unless a specific need is shown to exist (in ag applications the desire for more fruit production may be a reason to fertilize). Good luck.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Peach Tree| Next thread: peach tree curl fungus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: