The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

hibiscus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hibiscus| Next thread: Hibiscus »
Back to Thread index
by mrw on August 11, 2006 08:07 AM
I have had my tropical hibiscus out in the garden since May, and it is doing great, lots of blooms and it has more than doubled in size. I know that I will have to dig it up and move it inside for the winter. I will have to prune it before bringing it in. How much can I prune and should I leave in a sunny spot or in the basement (gets quite cool down there!)for the winter?
by alankhart on August 12, 2006 09:25 AM
I only trim mine back just enough to make it easier to dig up and replant in a container. You can either keep it in a sunny window where it may continue to bloom sporadicly, or let it go dormant in a cool place and water infrequently. I let mine go dormant...it just seems easier. Either way, it will probably lose a lot of leaves but they will grow back.

-
 -
 -
by mrw on August 12, 2006 09:53 AM
Thank you, will do!
by gardenfairy on August 12, 2006 04:59 PM
I live here in SC, about 30-40 from Savannah, Ga. I have 2 hibiscus plants that are doing great, getting bigger everyday. Do you think I should dig them up and move them indoors over the winter? A friend of mine said to put some pinestraw around them and they should be fine, we live in Zone 8.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by TulsaRose on August 12, 2006 11:51 PM
Monica, do you know if you have Tropical Hibiscus or the Hardy Hibiscus? A world of difference in their care. [Wink]

The info at Trop-Hibiscus will give you some tips.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by gailo on August 13, 2006 02:22 AM
Thanks for the link.

gailo
by gardenfairy on August 13, 2006 06:34 AM
I have a hardy hibiscus plant!

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

by TulsaRose on August 13, 2006 07:36 AM
Since its the hardy type, you shouldn't have to do anything with it, Monica. We get much colder weather here than you do and I don't protect my old ones other than a layer of Sycamore leaves from my neighbors tree. [Wink] The Tropical baby in a big container comes indoors as soon as the nights start falling below 50.

P.S.

Send us some of that rain you're enjoying! lol!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by gardenfairy on August 13, 2006 07:54 AM
I'm so happy it is raining FINALLY, we are in desperate need of it. I will try to will some your way!!!

Monica

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hibiscus| Next thread: Hibiscus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: