The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

grass in flower beds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Grass help PLEASE!!!!| Next thread: Grass in my Tulips »
Back to Thread index
by Gayle189 on May 02, 2004 06:24 PM
I would like to know how to get and keep the grass out of my flower beds. I have flox and a few other things that are full of grass. Do I have to dig out the flowers and start over again? If so how do I go about that without killing whatever has grass growing in it. [Frown]
by 4Ruddy on May 02, 2004 11:39 PM
mulch, mulch, mulch!!!
Mulching has become my best friend..I just don't have time to weed anything. The trick is...getting the mulch in a thick layer. Good Luck!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Bestofour on May 03, 2004 03:57 AM
Should you kill the grass first. I have an area, in the shade, that hasn't had grass in it before. This year for some odd reason it is full of grass. I have left it alone thinking it would burn out, because of the shade, but now's it's ankle high. Should I kill it before I add mulch?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Chrissy on May 03, 2004 05:38 AM
I usually pull as much out as I can...remove the actual layer of sod, keeping as much of the soil as you can. Then ammend the soil with compost or garden soil of your choice. Then mulch around the flowers.

-
 -
z5b
by loz on May 03, 2004 06:51 AM
I pull it too....I had tons of it coming up throught the back of the chain link fence....what a task that was to do.......a friend of mine uses preen, once she pulls all the weeds you put it down and that helps stop weeds from growing in your bed....she swears by it.....don't know how it knows the difference between a weed and a flower but it does......my sister used it last year and it worked really good. I've yet to try it. The grass pulling is just a constant job in my yard.....even with mulch down....
by Bess of the Piedmont on May 03, 2004 06:59 PM
Grass is a constant problem for me, too. I just rennovated my perennial beds, which meant lifting every plant, picking out the grass and weeds from around the roots, dividing, if necessary,replentishing the soil and replacing the wanted plants. this took care of all the mature weeds in the beds. BUT... new grass has sprouted again! And it's so tiny and plentiful, it's virtually impossible to weed. The other day I went out and used a garden claw tool to overturn the wee pests. I amnot a mulch fan, but we just got a chipper/shredder to take care of our overdue branch pile, and I may well try mulching, as well. Don't you have to keep the mulch away from the flower stems?

-
 -
by Marla on May 07, 2004 03:14 AM
Just a note about Preen. I believe that it is used to prevent germination of grass seeds, not broadleaf weeds. At least I know this is the case with Treflan (agricultural "Preen"). But if there are already established or germinated grass there, it will do no good, it is for application prior to any germination.
by WCutler on May 10, 2004 09:04 PM
Don't forget the need for edging. If the grass is invading from the side then a good edging material is helpful. I have used two landscape timbers as well as the retaining wall block sold commercially. It will need to go a few inches below the surface to keep roots from going under the edging. Also, Miracle Gro makes a weeding chemical similar to Preen that worked for me.
by hdsporty97 on May 12, 2004 05:21 PM
In the past I have put round up on a small foam paint brush and just brushed the grass and other weeds that are that close to the plant. It works great and I haven't killed any of my plant so far. We live on a farm so we get tons of volunteer elm trees everywhere that they're not supposed to grow. I am forever pulling them out of the pots that I plant. Very frustrating but at least they are easy to pull.

-
Life isn't a box of chocolates...It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today migth burn your @$$ tomorrow!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Grass help PLEASE!!!!| Next thread: Grass in my Tulips »
Back to Thread index